A thread for stitchers, crafters, and makers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Because I forge outside and I live on top of a hill, I can't do much when it's windy. Today was the first time in months that I've had free time when it wasn't windy so I pulled all the stuff out the shed.

Spent a few hours messing around. Practiced tapers, made a bottle opener, a rose, set of dice, a wizard's wand and... these wee guys

:laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
I have a woodturning lathe. I've had it for 3 years, but only got a few months use before having to pack it away for moving house, and only finally got a workshop set up in the new house just before Christmas.

But these are a few of the things I have made recently My wife painted the one which has been decorated).

Attachments

• 20220207_205427.jpg
    20220207_205427.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220115_203833.jpg
    20220115_203833.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220114_202833.jpg
    20220114_202833.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220113_122216.jpg
    20220113_122216.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220107_125624.jpg
    20220107_125624.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20211230_220744.jpg
    20211230_220744.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220113_122249.jpg
    20220113_122249.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 9

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's world book day this Thursday so I've been making an alethiometer out of cardboard. We also need to dress a potato as Queen Victoria.

I hate world book day and I haven't even read a book myself in the last seven years because I have to spend all my time doing stupid stuff like this.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It's world book day this Thursday so I've been making an alethiometer out of cardboard. We also need to dress a potato as Queen Victoria.

I hate world book day and I haven't even read a book myself in the last seven years because I have to spend all my time doing stupid stuff like this.
I heard someone on the radio talking about how stressful it is for parents... Hope it encourages the kids to read and not just dress up!

winjim

Smash the cistern
I heard someone on the radio talking about how stressful it is for parents... Hope it encourages the kids to read and not just dress up!
Yeah, it all falls on the parents and the kids end up going as characters from film adaptations anyway. There's always a zillion Harry Potters. My second paragraph was slightly facetious but also true, I literally haven't read a book in seven years that wasn't for work/study or a children's book. Maybe kids would be encouraged to read more if they saw their parents reading for pleasure but there's just no time.

Anyway, cardboard alethiometer. Still needs glueing and painting.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
. Maybe kids would be encouraged to read more if they saw their parents reading for pleasure but there's just no time.
You know I didn't realise that MEN read books until I went to uni. My mum introduced me to the local library very early on and I would read constantly. We borrowed books from neighbours too - but always female neighbours. My dad never read a book and my brother just read what he was given by the school. One grandfather read the paper - mainly the football - and I don't recall seeing the other reading at all though I suppose he must have got the racing results from somewhere.

Well done on the alethiometer anyway.

simongt

Guru
I've loved reading for as long as I can remember. Mostly factual subjects and was lucky to have a stock of books available since I was about four; I'm now 69. It was something that was normal in our house when I was a lad, with all the family reading at one point or other during their 'down time'. I have a Kindle which is useful for such occasions as travelling, camping etc., as I have access to many titles if I get bored with the one I'm currently reading. I still prefer the tactility of an actual book though.
However, it now seems rare for ayone to actually read, rather than 'reading' their cellphone at any excuse they get - ! :rofl:
Something I can't get my head round - ! :whistle:

winjim

Smash the cistern
'Down time' lol

Top Bottom