A week without a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You sound like my grandmother and her shoes, apparently she used to hide them in the hedge at the end of the lane, what do you do with it each day?

I take it with me, but clip it to the handle bars, or leave it in the car. I have a folder, and sometimes go off somewhere from home to ride. It makes life easier not saying anything

snorri

Legendary Member
but I really feel as though I have regained something of the purity of cycling.

Oh, I have just acquired a bandanna - with a pirate motif.
:eek:

I do wish some people on here would read what they've written before clicking on 'post':sad:

^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am pleased to see that people are beginning to see the funny side of the helmet issue.

I have worn my helmet every day for the last 2 weeks commute. Its too warm for a polar Buff and a bit chilly for a bare head and so the helmet has come into play.

gavgav

Guru
But......but.......how come you're still alive and not a dribbling vegetable?
Because he hasn't fallen off and banged his head. After witnessing my best mate go over the handlebars at 25mph coming down Hawkshead Hill, whack his helmeted head on the road, crack his helmet, but not have a mark on his head, there isn't a chance I would ride without one now.

Personal choice though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And they all survived -

Merckx.jpg

BTW, don't black & white photos capture the atmosphere better than colour?

snorri

Legendary Member
I was out in my car today, just jumped in and drove off, no hi-viz, no helmet, no water, no gloves, no pump, no puncture repair kit...amazing, I felt so free.....must do it more often:smile:

BrynCP

Über Member
Wearing a helmet saves me having to comb my hair. I did forget it once, and I could see my hair in the shadow; the sun also burnt my head. If my mum had seen me without my helmet, I'd have probably got earache too.

Regarding other drivers, they rarely pass me close anyway.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
DISCLAIMER: this post is not intended to set off the for/against debate, it's just my observations based on the last seven days when I haven't been using a helmet when using my road bike.

Some history. I've always had a bike or BSO, but about four years I really got bitten. This also coincided with being clipped by a car down a country lane and I went for the full MAMIL - including helmet. I also began using it for trips to the pub and into town on my hybrid.

Then, last year, I acquired my father-in-law's retirement present of City Gent Halfords bike from the 80's that he had seldom used. It promptly became my pub bike and I could not bring myself to wear a helmet when using it - it didn't 'feel' right to do so.

So, six weeks ago I started dispensing with the helmet when riding my hybrid. And for the last seven days, I've been doing the same while out on my road bike.

I have read that there some evidence that drivers give helmetless riders a little more room and, even though this is a far from scientific study, I believe I have noticed a subtle difference. Yes, I still get some close passes, but not as often as they have been, and it also 'seems' as though I'm generally getting a little more breathing space than I have been used to from the rest. Okay, I've also become far more willing to adopt Primary and perhaps that confidence is somehow relayed to others drivers through body language, but I really feel as though I have regained something of the purity of cycling.

Oh, I have just acquired a bandanna - with a pirate motif. What mid-life crisis? ^_^
I know what you are saying . I have found I get less hassle from car drivers without a helmet . I say less hassle , actually no hassle and very polite drivers . When I put the helmet on I seem to meet angry man/woman . Not all the time but I am amazed at peoples reaction to a bit of head gear .

bpsmith

Veteran
I was out in my car today, just jumped in and drove off, no hi-viz, no helmet, no water, no gloves, no pump, no puncture repair kit...amazing, I felt so free.....must do it more often:smile:

No reflectors, no indicators, no seat belt, no bumpers, no airbags, no doors, no roof, no spare wheel either? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom