A week without a helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Oh, I have just acquired a bandanna - with a pirate motif. What mid-life crisis? ^_^

Well done, join the club, buy a capped sleeved white t-shirt, get a cold bottle of beer and bite the top off, we are the cycling 1% er's.
:thumbsup:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm tempted. What do you wear to keep your bonce warm and vaguely dry?
Skull caps are quite good and are windproof on the front where it matters. If you wear a helmet they're thin enough to fit underneath, and if you don't wear a helmet they're still advantageous as they occupy little more space than a handkerchief, and so can be easily stowed away if you get hot. I started with a SealSkinz one, which was expensive but worked well. Having worn that for about 5 years, it's coming to the end of its life, but I spotted Aldi selling cheapo ones a week or so back, so I've already got a replacement.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
trapper hat.jpeg
cossack.jpeg
Skull caps are quite good and are windproof on the front where it matters. If you wear a helmet they're thin enough to fit underneath, and if you don't wear a helmet they're still advantageous as they occupy little more space than a handkerchief, and so can be easily stowed away if you get hot. I started with a SealSkinz one, which was expensive but worked well. Having worn that for about 5 years, it's coming to the end of its life, but I spotted Aldi selling cheapo ones a week or so back, so I've already got a replacement.
I feel the need to make a statement with my new headwear. I'm torn between the London Fields Metrosexual Cossack look, and the @Flying_Monkey Rugged Trapper one. The Cossack looks like a hairdo gone wrong BTW, and I can't see them letting me into smart clubs with the latter. Ho Hum.

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
You sound like my grandmother and her shoes, apparently she used to hide them in the hedge at the end of the lane, what do you do with it each day?

Lol my mum buried her liberty bodice in the garden.

Because he hasn't fallen off and banged his head. After witnessing my best mate go over the handlebars at 25mph coming down Hawkshead Hill, whack his helmeted head on the road, crack his helmet, but not have a mark on his head, there isn't a chance I would ride without one now.

Personal choice though.
And I had the opposite. Hit my head both wearing a helmet and without. Same place, same force. Concussion when wearing it, big massive egg lump when I wasn't but no other side effects. Haven't given up wearing it yet for one very sound reason... I look like crap in the morning and my helmet and glasses stop people from pointing and laughing. :biggrin:

Big Nick

My mate reckons helmets are dangerous, especially after the rider in front of him took his off on a hot day and failed to secure it properly to his tailbag resulting in it falling off causing my mate to crash!

Dan B

Disengaged member
They managed in those days without all the other essentials of modern cycling that we spend money on...hrm, cadence sensor, computer, gps, clipless pedals, carbon fibre!
"Essentials"? ;-) I successfully made it to work this morning with almost none of the above. Have to admit technology's not all bad though - in these climactic conditions I was very happy to be wearing technical fabrics that will be nice and dry again by the time I have to make the journey home.

vickster

Legendary Member
"Essentials"? ;-) I successfully made it to work this morning with almost none of the above. Have to admit technology's not all bad though - in these climactic conditions I was very happy to be wearing technical fabrics that will be nice and dry again by the time I have to make the journey home.
Reading some posts on here, I am sure some struggle without any sort of gadgetry to get them around :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom