A well stocked drinks cabinet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
As a rule, whenever I have alcohol in the flat, I drink it. However, I noticed certain of my friends have bottles of whisky and other booze, which they don't drink straight away. This made me think whether I should invest in a drinks cabinet, but what sort, and what should it contain? Alright, whisky and brandy, but more than one sort? How about gin. tequila, rum, etc? The list is endless. Should you have mixers, like one of those soda siphon things? How about ice? How would one keep it frozen? Presumably one should not include beer or wine, but what about fortified wine? I don't want to be embarrassed when guests come around.

Slick

Guru
I hardly drink but I do keep quite a stock of whisky and I fell heir to my old mans collection. Obviously there is the usual mix of duty free vodka, Gin's and Bacardi which has been there for years. The fridge has a selection 9f craft beers that I'll have from time to time and a few cans of pre mixed gin that is really quite refreshing if you are just having the one. I think a cabinet is a bit "The Good Life" but everyone to his own.

snorri

Legendary Member
After reading the first sentence of your post, I would suggest a drinks cabinet might be a little too convenient and could easily lead to your downfall.
Perhaps if you had the cabinet in an outhouse, garage or shed, or perhaps stored underground in a chest so that you had to get out a spade and dig whenever the thirst for drink came on you.
As for the fortified wine, I take it you are talking Buckfast here?
There is no place in a decent home for fortified wine.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
After reading the first sentence of your post, I would suggest a drinks cabinet might be a little too convenient and could easily lead to your downfall.
Perhaps if you had the cabinet in an outhouse, garage or shed, or perhaps stored underground in a chest so that you had to get out a spade and dig whenever the thirst for drink came on you.
As for the fortified wine, I take it you are talking Buckfast here?
There is no place in a decent home for fortified wine.
I live in a flat. I don't have access to those places. I live in a top floor flat so I have access to the roof space. You think I should put my drinks cabinet there?
I was thinking more along the lines of port, sherry, madeira than Buckfast. I thought they were fortified wines.

snorri

Legendary Member
I live in a top floor flat so I have access to the roof space. You think I should put my drinks cabinet there?
I was thinking more along the lines of port, sherry, madeira than Buckfast. I thought they were fortified wines.
Oh! Top floor flat.
Well, I'd only heard the term fortified wines associated with Buckfast.
Perhaps I have overstretched the boundaries of my knowledge a little by venturing in to this thread topic.
I think I'll creep off to bed now and leave those who know what they're talking about to advise you.
Good Night!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I hardly drink but I do keep quite a stock of whisky and I fell heir to my old mans collection. Obviously there is the usual mix of duty free vodka, Gin's and Bacardi which has been there for years. The fridge has a selection 9f craft beers that I'll have from time to time and a few cans of pre mixed gin that is really quite refreshing if you are just having the one. I think a cabinet is a bit "The Good Life" but everyone to his own.
What did you say your address is ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Scotch. Guiness. Water from the tap. That's all the drinks you need.

I don't really think the list is "endless" as you put it. Perhaps the people you should really ask are the ones who are your frequent guests. For example, most of the folk who would be invited here are whisky lovers or gin/rum lovers so that's my base. I like different whiskies so there might be four or five in stock at any one time. Ice is cubes in a bag in the freezer but it's not for scotch ;-)

Gunk

Guru

Top Bottom