A whisky recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
10 year talisker is one of my favourites. Likely mid £40 but not silly money. Much nicer than Talisker <insert silly name of the week>. Been caught by a bargain bottle Laphroig "select" which isn't terrible but not a patch on Laohroig 10 which is fantastic - at least if you like very peaty whiskys. Old Pultney, Jura, Balvenie, Knocando are all a good tipple and often with a deal on at the supermarket

A few years ago a 10 year old Laphroig was my "go to" bottle of choice for Chrimbo etc, but as i've matured my tastes have changed and the over-powering "peatyness" isn't as appealing now.

Flakey

Glenfiddich 12 year old. With a nice wee half pint to go with it. Heaven. 😋

Or at least that's how I remember it - not touched anything for a while now. ☹️

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've never tried the chocolate and whisky combination but I can imagine it working. The challenge now is to remember to buy some high in cocoa bars.

I'll share a tip on tasting that was given to me by the folk at Caol Ila. It's the most fun way I've ever taken a dram.
This was done using Caol Ila 18yr old (I prefer the 12) but has worked with every single malt I've tried it with so far (and that's a lot).

Take two maltesers and place them in your mouth, one in each cheek, like a hamster. After a few moments, once you feel the chocolate starting to soften, take a good sip of the malt and chew the maltesers. I can't describe the effect in any way that will do it justice, you just have to do it.

It will truly take your breath away and have you laughing till you cry. At least that's the effect when I do it with my brothers. The fact we'll already have had a few might have something to do with that though...

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A 10-year-old Jura proved too much of a temptation at £25 so I picked one up from Asda.

I promptly dropped it again - it fell out of the cardboard tube, hit the floor, but thankfully didn't break.

Looks a funny colour, a deep ruby red.

That's more than enough whisky bought for the time being.

I purposefully didn't spend long in the whisky aisle to avoid temptation, but looking for the Jura gave me the impression Asda's selection was better than Sainsbury's.

Oxford Dave

Waitrose is good for whisky, they always seem to have at least one good malt on special offer, usually £25 or less. Good way of trying new whiskies without paying too much.

AndyRM

XOXO
A 10-year-old Jura proved too much of a temptation at £25 so I picked one up from Asda.

I promptly dropped it again - it fell out of the cardboard tube, hit the floor, but thankfully didn't break.

Looks a funny colour, a deep ruby red.

That's more than enough whisky bought for the time being.

I purposefully didn't spend long in the whisky aisle to avoid temptation, but looking for the Jura gave me the impression Asda's selection was better than Sainsbury's.

£25 is a bit of a bargain for Jura, was it on offer?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The early Ledaig was generally good although there were a few variations but I will not comment on Tobermory. Jura is quite good tho’.

huggybear0

Über Member
Blended whiskey is not that great. it will do if you fancy a wee dram.

You have to decide what flavour you like smokey, or peaty, bowmore is a nice one, Talasker Sky. aberlour a'bunadh Is awesome sherry cask most like to add a little water but I like it neat.
Personally I am not a Jura fan but whiskey is a personal drink and has different taste.

find a mate who has some and try them out

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've breached The Famous Grouse.

A little underwhelming.

It has a harshness which reminds me of the likes of Teachers and Bells, which caused me to abandon whisky many years ago.

Another negative is I'm getting a slight anaesthetic numbness in my mouth, which is another trait I'm not keen on.

Flavour is OK if one dimensional, it lacks the depth and character of the Speyside single malt.

On the plus side it is easy drinking, or innocuous if you want to be critical.

Might be one if you are having several, which I don't.

While it's true to say it's good value at £13, my view is adding a tenner to that to get a classy bottle is the better bet.

I shall drink it, if only as an occasional change.

Slick

Guru

A little underwhelming.

It has a harshness which reminds me of the likes of Teachers and Bells, which caused me to abandon whisky many years ago.

Another negative is I'm getting a slight anaesthetic numbness in my mouth, which is another trait I'm not keen on.

Flavour is OK if one dimensional, it lacks the depth and character of the Speyside single malt.

While it's true to say it's good value at £13, my view is adding a tenner to that to get a classy bottle is the better bet.

Never took to it myself. I think you might be right about adding an extra tenner. :okay:

Slick

Guru

A little underwhelming.

Now crack open the Jura.

Top Bottom