A whisky recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I do love a peaty whisky & Laphroaig hits the spot. View attachment 522115

Id say the taste has gotten more sweeter and less peaty over the years. The price has come down a fair bit though. I got the 10 and the Quarter Cask variants in my collection. I do also have an Ardbeg which ive been taking a liking to more recently as far as peated malts goes. Its like mass explosion of flavours on my tongue.

I really should take an inventory of what i got - i got a mishmash of some 10+ bottles of various whiskies and ive always treated alcohol more like an occasional treat rather than a regular friday night binge at the pub so that explains why my collection forever keeps increasing. I guess I'll pour myself a few glasses tonight.

keithmac

Guru
My Father in Law has given up drinking and is finding some of his old stock around the house. He used to love making coctails.

Gave me this to try last week (Cognac but he says there's a few Whiskeys lying around).

Was bloody lovely, had it neat over a few nights. Googled it to buy another bottle and it turns out it was a £120 sip of luxury!.

I can see why people spend that as it was a lovely drink but far to much for me to justify spending on another bottle.

Will see what turns up next!.

Attachments

• 20200708_183620.jpg
    20200708_183620.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 8

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
+1 for Talisker. .. rich and full.
Jura I like too... a little lighter by comparison.
I also agree with above re Famous Grouse for a blend it's damn good and half the price.:cheers:

Mattk50

MattK50
Famous grouse for me, nothing better at the price point, although long gone are the days when I could drink it neat with my reflux. Plus if I'm drinking whiskey it keeps me off expensive claret, another expensive hobby of mine!

Mattk50

MattK50
Nah, I was just joshing anyway, you don't get a sore head with good whisky. I just wish I had a stronger stomach. :angel:
I always feel emotionally wrecked he next day after too much whiskey and can never cycle the next day.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Waitrose are doing Penderyn "Madera" for £25 or thereabouts. We paid £40+ for a bottle last year at their distillery, ditto for their Sherry version. Liked both and certainly good value for £26 and fair value for £46. I actively disliked a couple of their versions though.

PS Welsh not Scotch whisky, but pretty good in ky view

Profpointy

Legendary Member
+1 for Talisker. .. rich and full.
Jura I like too... a little lighter by comparison.
I also agree with above re Famous Grouse for a blend it's damn good and half the price.:cheers:

Talisker 10 is spot on and not silly money - £40 ish? Not convinced by Talisker <novelty name of the week> though and beware Laphroig "select" which isn't very nice, whilst Laphroig 10 is as good as ever - if you like that kind of thing, which I do.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For the OP - if you like Speyside, I can heartily recommend Glenlivent French Oak, Mortlach, Old Pultney, Knocando, Balvenie. I think all or most are Speyside.

Prices vary but if any are on a deal you won't go far wrong. Maybe £30-£40 rather than £25 though

Last edited:
Top Bottom