A Worrying & Serious Near Incident!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
There are some pretentious tosspots on this forum, I hope you all cycle slowly incase some what-if occurance happens because that is what you are saying car drivers should do.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
There are some pretentious tosspots on this forum, I hope you all cycle slowly incase some what-if occurance happens because that is what you are saying car drivers should do.

Consequences are likely to be significantly different, no? Appropriate speed is the point, I think.

cd365

Guru
Consequences are likely to be significantly different, no? Appropriate speed is the point, I think.
Whilst walking my dog recently I came across a teenage boy lying on the ground in agony, a cyclist had come speeding around the corner and hit him, the cyclist got up and fled. If he had hit an old person he could easily have killed them, luckily(!) he hit a healthy teenage boy who only suffered broken ribs.

The cyclist obviously thought he was cycling at an appropriate speed!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Whilst walking my dog recently I came across a teenage boy lying on the ground in agony, a cyclist had come speeding around the corner and hit him, the cyclist got up and fled. If he had hit an old person he could easily have killed them, luckily(!) he hit a healthy teenage boy who only suffered broken ribs.

The cyclist obviously thought he was cycling at an appropriate speed!

But he may not have been. I have no way to determine whether the boy's injuries would have been worse had he been hit by a car in similar circumstances, but I think it's likely, don't you?

subaqua

What’s the point

there is a huge difference between 20Kgs of metal with a 100Kg rider and 1000kg of metal coming towards you. you do understand basic physics Force = Mass x Acceleration .

and when cycling i am generally travelling at a speed I can safely stop in. demonstrated in practice by the plum who hit me a few weeks ago on the canal path while I had stopped.

2114379 said:
Is there a problem with the general rule of being able to stop before you reach as far as you can see at any given moment?

This doesn't work for me when I blink.

If I take blinking out of the equation, there is much to be said for it.

Also, I find it hard to apply at times when I am looking in a direction other than that in which I am travelling.

Also, my wife has started putting maple syrup on her porridge instead of demarara or honey. I find this eccentric and worrying.

Also....

cd365

Guru
2119358 said:
Sorry but that is just pathetically laughable.
Why, can't you use Google? We all know most cycle / pedestrian collisions go unrecorded so any stats would not be accurate. In car / cycle collisions that result in death the police attribute fault to be half and half.

cd365

Guru
there is a huge difference between 20Kgs of metal with a 100Kg rider and 1000kg of metal coming towards you. you do understand basic physics Force = Mass x Acceleration .

and when cycling i am generally travelling at a speed I can safely stop in. demonstrated in practice by the plum who hit me a few weeks ago on the canal path while I had stopped.
I understand physics perfectly well thank you but it is attitudes like yours that makes cyclists so hated. If you're walking along a pavement and get hit by a cyclist it will hurt, injure and possibly kill, to think that an innocent party hit by a cyclist is less of a crime than being hit by a car is just wrong.

U

User6179

Thought this post started well enough but fell away a bit at the end!

There are some pretentious tosspots on this forum, ....
Thank you for the warning. I'm such a noob to forums that I hadn't realised.

Please be assured that I have taken this to heart, and shall make sure to remind myself of it whenever I see one of your posts. Thank you again.

subaqua

What’s the point
I understand physics perfectly well thank you but it is attitudes like yours that makes cyclists so hated. If you're walking along a pavement and get hit by a cyclist it will hurt, injure and possibly kill, to think that an innocent party hit by a cyclist is less of a crime than being hit by a car is just wrong.

i don't ride on the pavement, I stop at red lights . I also drive and drove some large vehicles in the past. I was also taught to drive using the principle of being able to stop safely in the distance in can see clearly. . I can't see anywhere that i have said it is less of a crime. i beleive my post said that I can still stop in the distance i can cleartly see even when on my bike
I don't know what your problem is but you sir are this weeks cockwomble for that attitude

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The bend is safe to take comfortably at 40 mph even if there was a person lying in the road. I have explained and you have accepted that it was my lack of concentration that was the problem. Speed is relevant to the conditions of course and under normal conditions I estimate that bend could probably be taken faster than 40 mph and still be safe.

I would simply point out that your level of alertness is also part of the conditions that inform your safe speed.

The advanced driving course sounds interesting, I might do one.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi Glasgow Cyclist,

You sure do go on a bit don't you!

That's an odd thing to say after only my second post on this 160+ post thread, and a topic which you "opened for debate".

I have already pointed out that the cyclist having no lights would not be the reason I would have hit her

I didn't say it was.

As it is, I am investigating advanced driving courses in the area to 'brush' up what I have obviously forgotten over the years.

RoSPA and IAM are very worthwhile tests to take, you should find a local group within easy reach.
I'd be delighted to hear when you've passed.

GC

Top Bottom