A Worrying & Serious Near Incident!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atbman

Veteran
I think htat we should all bear in mind that rural roads are more dangerous for cyclists than are urban ones: about half of all cyclist fatalities occur on them. Taking into account the fact that there are more urban cycling journeys than rural ones, this indicates that a rural cyclist runs a higher risk of a fatal collision with a motor vehicle.

Might it be that driving round bends faster than is technically wise is part of this? By the way, the OP was probably doing what the majority of us do when driving in the country.

Bengarbage

a. you're brave admitting this on a cycle forum

b. no ill happened this time, relax

c.hope you've learnt a lesson, because....

d. it's a limit, not a target.

best wishes.

Canrider

Guru
2114516 said:
And the problem with that is?
..probably the lack of men with red flags in Our Modern World?

I do encourage you to drive a car around said corners at a speed faster than you can see clear to stop. Here's one of them:
http://goo.gl/maps/SfdNk
I'll even give you some local knowledge: as you go round the corner, there's usually a van (illegally) parked up level with the door on the building on your left as you go round the corner.

(NB: It's significant that the Google truck has difficulty even visualizing this corner)

Canrider

Guru
I think htat we should all bear in mind that rural roads are more dangerous for cyclists than are urban ones: about half of all cyclist fatalities occur on them. Taking into account the fact that there are more urban cycling journeys than rural ones, this indicates that a rural cyclist runs a higher risk of a fatal collision with a motor vehicle.

Might it be that driving round bends faster than is technically wise is part of this? By the way, the OP was probably doing what the majority of us do when driving in the country.
Yes. And also more dangerous for car drivers as well, likely for broadly similar reasons. Everyone needs to slow down.

Canrider

Guru
looking at adrians sig i wouldn't bother arguing mate
Yeah, pretty much, he's not going to stick any neck out. I go round that corner at 10 in 1st, and I guarantee I'm the slowest to do so. And yes, given the semi-guaranteed illegally stopped van I'm going waaaaay too fast at 10mph (wow, that'd be slow cycling speed, wouldn't it?).

Bengarbage

if so sorry (use my quote above please) just trying to balance the discussion mate

Big boy

Im sorry but slamming on the brakes and letting the abs to take over at 45mph sounds a tad strange to me.
As someone said maybe drive a little bit slower, as far as i know you could be a very good driver.
We all get caught out from time to time, at least you said it as it is on here.
im sorry but i havent read every reply to your post but was the woman wearing high viz or anything.

Canrider

Guru
2114560 said:
Told us? Are you sure that he has accepted the principle?
Immaterial, given that you're arguing that you can detect the presence of a principle on his road but not on mine...

Cubist

Still wavin'
Can I just clear up a point? @G2EWS has confused two principles, which is the fastest safe speed to take any given corner, but that is based on that corner having full sight lines, therefore the "racing line" (out,apex,out) simply extends the geometry of the curve and means a car can travel round that curve "safely", ie without losing grip.

However, the police driving manual also talks of sight lines, and the "arrowhead" effect, which is the point at which the sides of the road appear to converge. Too fast, and that point rushes towards you, bang on the right speed and the arrowhead stays at a constant distance until the road straightens again. That arrowhead principle also teaches a driver to shift position in the road to extend that arrowhead, for example by moving to the offside edge of the carriageway to extend the sight lines on a left hander, and as far over to the nearside as possible on a right hander.

Absolutely none of this theory over rides the most fundamental principle of safe cornering, which is that YOU MUST AT ALL TIMES BE TRAVELLING AT SUCH AS SPEED THAT YOU CAN STOP SAFELY WITHIN THE DISTANCE YOU CAN SEE AHEAD. Oh, and the other point made above, which is that the vehicle should be able to stay on the correct side of the road.

So sorry G2EWS, but if you had to make an emergency stop to avoid the cyclist, you were simply travelling too fast. Please don't fall out with me, I'm not doing this as a personal attack, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Unless you have done all of the Advanced driving course, leave fast cornering to the experts, or the race track.

Top Bottom