AA Cyclists Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wouldn't buy it for myself but I'd consider buying it for a new rider, as a primer for Roadcraft. Edmund King at least is not a petrolhead, being more of an appropriate transport man - which, I gather, means bike much of the time in London. I'd rather have the AA closer to the cyclist's side than be in an antagonistic position. And perhaps it might be good to get all the bikeability and HC info together in the same place.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
May
Probably because they get told what to do by lots of different people who are usually more interested in getting the cyclist to do things to make their own life easier.

I dont see the AA as "the enemy" but they do speak on behalf of motorists and not cyclists.

Having said that, the AA book apparently isnt too bad as it just repeats the highway code's advice and gives tips for newbies on puncture repair, useful gear etc.
Maybe we should all club together and write our own version...

...no, wait

classic33

Leg End Member
In other words, it probably uncontains prejudice-led unsubstantiated bike-bashing and it's the DfT's fault as well as the AA's.
As in they'd nothing to add so chose to borrow/copy the material for their version. Which is twice the price of the official version.

I've seen 15 - 20% quoted. Depends in part on whethet you mean don't drive or don't have a driving licence.
Too many variables here. As well as the definition of "driver", what is the definition of "cyclist" (eg how many times a week/year/month do you need to cycle to be regarded as a cycle rider?)

I wouldn't be surprised if more cyclists were drivers than the general population, as many people who can't drive for medical reasons probably don't cycle either - though there are some noteworthy exceptions on CC.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If I remember correctly, motorist is usually has a licence and access to a vehicle (insured for them and so on) and cyclist is usually anyone who rode in the last month.

I know the government can suspend your driving licence for medical reasons. How can they stop you cycling?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I know the government can suspend your driving licence for medical reasons. How can they stop you cycling?
It was speculation. People tend to stop doing things like cycling without much encouragement. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

(I know my parents were still legally allowed and able to drive when getting on a cycle would have been beyond them, mostly because they hadn't ridden in 60 years, but still, they are not atypical)

Just for the (rather inaccurate) record.

In 2014, there were 45,500,000 license holders in the UK. In 2011, there were 52,000,000 people over 15.

Still, tons of assumptions to be made :smile: Let's assume that by 2014, there were at lease 52 million over 18. That means that the percentage of people old enough to be drivers who are drivers is 87.5%. So about the same percentage of cyclists are drivers as for any other road user. So it makes as much sense to shout "you don't pay road tax" to a train or bus passenger or pedestrian as it does to a cyclist.

(I'm taking 10-20% of cyclists are drivers as true. Someone else can google that.)

Top Bottom