AA Cyclists Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
"In effect, it’s aiming to get more people cycling, not chide cyclists for “jumping red lights” or the other transgressions that some motorists see cyclists doing but ignore when fellow motorists do the same."

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/why-did-the-aa-publish-the-cyclists-highway-code_67904

If it's anything like the last one they were going to publish, then it's the thin end of the wedge. But if the above is correct, then maybe they learnt a lesson or two last time.

AA President Edmund King speaking in 2009
Is it ‘them and us’ out there, cars v bikes?
“We have to get past the ‘them and us’ mentality. Cycle campaigners often do themselves no favour in this respect. And motorists can be just as bad. Let’s not forget, people aren’t welded to their cars 24 hours a day. Motorists have to get out and walk places too. It’s not two tribes at war. Out of their cars and off their bikes, these are the same kind of people. We need better behaviour all round. Motorists see cyclists running red lights. Cyclists see motorists cutting them up.

“We need to widen the social acceptance of bikes. We have to get away from this cultural thinking that says ‘I’ve made it, I need a car.’ It’s not like that in the Netherlands.

“Look, I’m the president of the AA, I never use a car in London. Never. Some people are surprised by that, thinking I’d use a car all the time. No, I use the transport which is relevant for the journey. Sometimes it’s a bike; sometimes it’s a train; sometimes it’s a car; sometimes it’s walking.

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/news/aa-prez-loves-bikes/

T'aint cheap at £4.99 for what they've admitted is basically sections copied from the Highway Code(£2.50), with a few extra sections added.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Amongst all the groups I know, cyclists are the ones who hate being told what to do by none cyclists. If this book had been released by one of the big cycling organisations or magazines it would have probably been accepted as a good idea.

But as the enemy released it, there will only be ridicule and suspicion, even by those who have not read it. The idea is a good one but the execution needed a bit more thought.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nope. It's not in Smiths or Waterstones (unlike the other AA books) and I'm not sure why any retailer would stock it when there's another book for half the price called "The Official Highway Code" - are you?

I'm very suspicious of the AA's motives for publishing this when they claim their goal is "to protect you, the motorist, and put your interests first".

Yeah, that's partly the fault of Carlton Reid for inventing reasons why cyclists hate it and then attacking them. I don't attack it because it's not infrastructure - I attack it because an organisation contrary to cycling's interests like the AA should not be portrayed as an authority on it.

So Edmund King says warm words about it, but one day he'll be gone and the motorists-first goal will remain. If he wants to do something nice for cycling, he should reform the AA to be more cycling-compatible (extending the breakdown cover to cycling like @numbnuts asks is an obvious first step) and not merely engage in public relations exercises like this and their mirror-obscuring stickers (and a bigger problem is that some motorists don't even look at their mirrors): talk is cheap - deeds not words.

It's rather disappointing to read in the Guardian article that Cycling UK is now bending over to the AA's publicity stunts, rather than opposing them like they did the AA's helmet-giveaway a few years ago.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's supposed to be reasonably fair and useful.

However, don't the AA mend or tow car for a living, and isn't there already Cyclecraft, imperfect as it is, from HMSO?
WHSmiths also sell it.
Off topic, but if the AA want to do something for cyclists extend their break down cover for us I have been asking this for the last 10 + years and they still say no.
They did do, only what you paid wasn't worth what you got. No recovery to home or somewhere that could fix your bike/trike/quad. Roadside repairs weren't that great either.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Amongst all the groups I know, cyclists are the ones who hate being told what to do by none cyclists. If this book had been released by one of the big cycling organisations or magazines it would have probably been accepted as a good idea.

But as the enemy released it, there will only be ridicule and suspicion, even by those who have not read it. The idea is a good one but the execution needed a bit more thought.
Probably because they get told what to do by lots of different people who are usually more interested in getting the cyclist to do things to make their own life easier.

I dont see the AA as "the enemy" but they do speak on behalf of motorists and not cyclists.

Having said that, the AA book apparently isnt too bad as it just repeats the highway code's advice and gives tips for newbies on puncture repair, useful gear etc.

classic33

Leg End Member
Probably because they get told what to do by lots of different people who are usually more interested in getting the cyclist to do things to make their own life easier.

I dont see the AA as "the enemy" but they do speak on behalf of motorists and not cyclists.

Having said that, the AA book apparently isnt too bad as it just repeats the highway code's advice and gives tips for newbies on puncture repair, useful gear etc.
Copied/borrowed from the Official Highway Code and the bikeability training.

I don't think it's patronising, there's some good stuff in there on maintenance. Young riders don't need to know about parking and m'way rules, this is tailored for them.

Top Bottom