ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to the Cycle Chat ABC town and villages challenge 2020.
The rules are simple: find a town or village that starts with a letter of the alphabet, ride there, get a picture of a sign of the place with your bike in it, post it on this thread.
You must follow the alphabet, you can get to multiple places on one ride, but you must not claim a letter if you haven't first reached the previous letter of the alphabet.
Example: Airdrie, Blantyre, Carmyle is OK.
Carmyle, Airdrie, Blantyre is a no no ^_^
Enjoy!

Pat "5mph"

I restarted my ABCs on the old thread but as there's a new thread, ima gonna restart again. Thanks @Pat "5mph" :biggrin:
I got a pm saying the original challenge was from February to February: as the op post is gone, I will unlock the old thread till February.
@TheDoctor there's your chance!
Let's, though, start the 2020 challenge here ^_^

Will people be posting their old photos? They need a 2020 sign with it 😁🇩🇰
Hey, that did not occur to me: I'm sure cyclechatters don't cheat :biggrin:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I got a pm saying the original challenge was from February to February: as the op post is gone, I will unlock the old thread till February.
@TheDoctor there's your chance!
Let's, though, start the 2020 challenge here ^_^
This is making me feel a bit grumpy. The original challenge very clearly started in early January, and I don't believe there was ever a suggestion that it was to run for a year. It doesn't really make sense as an annual challenge in it's existing form.

If it's to be a renewable annual challenge, one idea might be to make January the month for A, B and C, February for D, E, F, and so on. If we remove X and Z, accepting that X doesn't exist and that for many Z requires an excessively long journey, the formula works.

With just three to be found a month, this would help to remove the temptation to rush ahead. There'd be more time for anyone who wants to follow a particular theme, or perhaps target decorative village green-style signs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@Ajax Bay I understand what's making you grumpy - and I suggest an antidote .

Just make up your own rules/lack of rules. I certainly have. Visit places beginning A-Z in order is an excellent and very simple concept so just enjoy that bit and ignore any other rules that get in your way and/or make up your own rules if you find they are needed. Maximum enjoyment, minimum grumpiness.

Alex H

Legendary Member
@Ajax Bay I understand what's making you grumpy - and have an antidote for you.

Just make up your own rules/lack of rules. I certainly have. Visit places beginning A-Z in order is an excellent concept so just enjoy that bit and ignore any other rules that get in your way and/or make up your own rules if you find they are needed. Maximum enjoyment, minimum grumpiness.

Indeed, I didn't even see the original thread until September. There's no way for me to get to Z from M in a month :laugh:

I'm in but it is difficult to chain together ABCD around here. I've got a potential route in mind. Are trains to the start allowed?

I've got a route planned for EFGHIJKL in a single ride.

It's unlikely I'll be able to justify the cost of the trip to the Outer Hebrides so Vatersay will have to wait.
Edit: also, does it need to be a road sign that says the village/town name? Round here it's less Welcome to Placename and more Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Edit: also, does it need to be a road sign that says the village/town name? Round here it's less Welcome to Placename and more Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here.
From what I've seen (and done) then it's the boundary sign as first preference, but village halls, churches, railway stations, sports clubs and so on all seem to be fine. My favourite of my own visits was a great big muriel on the side of a leisure centre in Sheerness.

Pat "5mph"

This is making me feel a bit grumpy. The original challenge very clearly started in early January, and I don't believe there was ever a suggestion that it was to run for a year.
Just make up your own rules/lack of rules. I certainly have. Visit places beginning A-Z in order is an excellent and very simple concept so just enjoy that bit and ignore any other rules that get in your way and/or make up your own rules if you find they are needed.
No problems: will I just merge the 2 threads, edit the title, we can let it run as before.
Sorry about the confusion, us (the mods team) thought it was an annual challenge.

I'm in but it is difficult to chain together ABCD around here.
Adrie, Balloch, Coatbridge, Denny ... :whistle:
Yes, you can take the train to near your destination.
You don't need to chain the towns together, unless it happens you pass more than one on a ride. ^_^

Adrie, Balloch, Coatbridge, Denny ... :whistle:
Yes, you can take the train to near your destination.
You don't need to chain the towns together, unless it happens you pass more than one on a ride. ^_^
No offence Pat as I know you live in the east of the city but I'm not going near Airdrie or Coatbridge.
My ABCD would involve Balloch through.

Top Bottom