ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Ajax Bay I understand what's making you grumpy - and I suggest an antidote .

Just make up your own rules/lack of rules. I certainly have. Visit places beginning A-Z in order is an excellent and very simple concept so just enjoy that bit and ignore any other rules that get in your way and/or make up your own rules if you find they are needed. Maximum enjoyment, minimum grumpiness.
Many apologies, I've spent the day ill in bed, and I wasn't in a fit state to make posts this morning. Probably I'm still not, but my ability to perform simple arithmetic seems to have returned.

Best of all, I'm feeling a little happier. Village green signs it is, as they always make me smile when I see them. Now I've just got to remember where I saw an A. It certainly wasn't Ajax Bay.

^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
I've merged the threads, carry on as before, sorry for the disruption ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Agree you can’t get X and for most of us, Z isn't happening either. The original allowed up to three byes and I think that should remain. Posters can indicate their byes as they go through the letters.

As for not using last years photos. I’m riding a different bike this year so it’ll be mostly obvious. Maybe I’ll take a sheet if A4 with 2020 written on it!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Must admit, I'd thought it was an annual challenge too.
As for the rules, such as they are, I see no problem with getting a train, altering the sequence if necessary, or whatever. My W was in New Zealand, and riding there would have been slightly epic, to say the least. Equally, the W was ridden out of sequence, but I waited till I'd posted the V for Verulamium photo before posting W for Wakatane.
I shall be reusing a few places from last time, as I only know one Q, and I will be doing an NZ place if I possibly can.

Anyway - who's up for a ride to Zouch?:okay:

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I will do this again but plan on starting with Z and working backwards. However that won’t be until April at the earliest as the trip to Zouch is an all-dayer with multiple trains involved and I don’t ride in the dark.

I will where possible go to different villages/towns compared to my A-Z, but there might be a few where I have to re-use the same one (V, Q and J probably) although even then I’ll attempt to use a different sign.

This is making me feel a bit grumpy. The original challenge very clearly started in early January, and I don't believe there was ever a suggestion that it was to run for a year. It doesn't really make sense as an annual challenge in it's existing form.

If it's to be a renewable annual challenge, one idea might be to make January the month for A, B and C, February for D, E, F, and so on. If we remove X and Z, accepting that X doesn't exist and that for many Z requires an excessively long journey, the formula works.

With just three to be found a month, this would help to remove the temptation to rush ahead. There'd be more time for anyone who wants to follow a particular theme, or perhaps target decorative village green-style signs.

Hello @Aravis

It was I who brought the annual thing to @Pat "5mph" s attention, reason being that there were possibly people like me who started late.

My impression was that it was a personal challenge with loose if any rules.

It didn’t bother me that the thread was locked but I thought it may restrict others from reading it and getting inspiration/ideas for their challenge

Anyway, my last letter required was X so here is mine, nabbed in a news years day ride around the cheddar area

aXbridge, which wasn’t my original X but was quite handy :laugh:

Just contemplating the format of this years A-Z or Z-A

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I got as far as I last year, then ground to a halt as J involved a long and hilly ride (long for me, at least). I'm making an effort to get more miles in overall this year, so I'm starting again (although some of the places will be the same as before). I'm also going to make an effort to complete it this year, as far as possible! My X and Z may have to be places with those letters somewhere in the name rather than at the beginning!
Alveston, Berkeley
IMG_20200104_120024492_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200104_130326577_HDR.jpg

I got as far as I last year, then ground to a halt as J involved a long and hilly ride (long for me, at least). I'm making an effort to get more miles in overall this year, so I'm starting again (although some of the places will be the same as before). I'm also going to make an effort to complete it this year, as far as possible! My X and Z may have to be places with those letters somewhere in the name rather than at the beginning!
Alveston, Berkeley View attachment 498976
View attachment 498977

And therein lies the reason for this thread

Best of luck

Top Bottom