ABC Towns and Villages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Cracking idea for a challenge @User9609 , coming to this a little later than some of you so here goes.

A is for Atherington

IMG_20190119_094731363_HDR.jpg

Thinking of using this thread as inspiration for my longer weekend rides. So first off, 110km with 999 metres of climbing (if I'd realised I would have left Strava running while I carried the bike up the steps and into the house).

Was misty at dawn as I left Exeter but knew my lights had plenty of juice so wasn't overly concerned. Took the A377 through Crediton and Copplestone, not the easiest of roads during rush hour but weekend early doors it's fine. Left at Morchard Road for Winkleigh. The route climbs from Exeter to Winkleigh but nothing too serious by Devon standards. Hit Winkleigh around 35km and a brief climb through the village. Then northward to High Bickington and Atherington (not unfortunately the birthplace of former England cricket captain and opener Mike Atherton). From there it's a right turn and a short decent back down to rejoin the A377 at Umberleigh. Following the A377 all the way back to Exeter.

Think I'll try and string this out by only posting one place every week or so, already getting excited about the possibilities for 'B' though.

Great thread!

lane

Veteran
Think that's a good way of approaching the challenge. I think I will aim to collect signs of places I have never been to as far as possible which will mean they will be further afield. This will take sometime because on that basis I won't be getting one every week and will mainly be Spring of onwards. But if I pick places I have never been, that look interesting and look like a good ride it will make it a more interesting exercise. As someone siad upthread this is too good to rush.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What I like is that I have villages starting with letters further on in the alphabet. But because the in between letters are not there I can not bag them. So I am forced on a future ride to head out to the same area via different villages or pick a different area when I am ready for those letters. Tomorrow's ride takes me to a village in the next county that I have never visited to my knowledge.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
@13 rider I've just got Google to plot a route for me and it has suggested 3 routes, the least lumpy looks to be via Welham, Cranoe, Tugby and Marefield. All unknown territory for me. I'll dig the OS maps out nearer the time - still got to get A under my belt yet :blush:

I'll probably pass on Zouch and take Z as a bye - but if I get that far I might feel the need to try...

Tugby has a great cafe, Cafe Ventoux. Is a bit lumpy that way but as long as you are not doing massive stints on the A47 all the roads around there are fine.

The Bystander

Über Member
D done.
Desborough.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It was hard fought for today. Set off this morning a little before sunrise on road bike. It was -3C with frost on grass and house roofs but roads dry and ice free. Disaster struck about 40 mins in, a big piece of glass, a puncture, and a valve that snapped. Limped home and got my folding bike out transferring hot chocolate, scotch eggs, and crisps across. Stayed cold but it was glorious in the sun. Temperature dropped rapidly as the sun set and I slowed down wary of water refreezing on lanes. Made it home maybe 45 mins after sunset. Good but long day out.

The next series of letters are fortunately closer to home.

20190120_141805.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom