Able to fit discs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Son has a Kona Kahuna with Magura hydraulic rim brakes but he's not happy with them, we've bled them, fitted new pads, adjusted but still not happy, he just doesn't like the feel of them, so I wondered as the frame can accept calipers can the hubs, I think there is enough space on the back but not sure on the front.

20180901_152508.jpg
20180901_152505.jpg
20180901_152455.jpg
20180901_152449.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Frame is disc mount ready but hubs are not. You will need the brakes, mount adapters dependent on disc size, rotors and new wheels. It adds up to quite a £££bit and may just be cheaper to switch to a newer bike.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes that was what my thought was, shame as I quite like it, used it a couple of times when mines been at the LBS, we'll just ride it as is & then worry about something new IF he decides he wants to do more.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The Magura hydro rim brakes are belting when set up properly but they are rather fiddly - but worthwhile persisting

minininjarob

If you can get a cheap pair of 26” disc wheels (deore/mavic) you’ll be able to buy some cheapish shimano disc brakes to fit. It would be worth it and would revive what is a pretty good bike - but I wouldn’t spend loads.
Maguras are brilliant though so the braking force probably wouldn’t be miles better with discs but would fare better in the wet and mud.
If you do go down the upgrade route make sure the frame has proper IS disc mounts. They do look ok but there was for a time a period when the spacing of the disc mount holes varied so measure them up against the IS standard just in case. I’ve got a set of Marzocchi Z1 forks which have a different spacing.

Top Bottom