Abuse from drivers. More on a Saturday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Was told to “Get off the f%#@ing road, on Saturday,but what sort of idiot does it in a fully liveried van with a phone number in huge font on it.

Slick

Guru
Was told to “Get off the f%#@ing road, on Saturday,but what sort of idiot does it in a fully liveried van with a phone number in huge font on it.
Knuckle draggers

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
if you are out in all the gear (Especially wearing a helmet which I don't) you are part of a different firm and fair game in the same manner that football fans regard supporters of other clubs.
Ride a flat bar bike in trainers and normal clothes and you are ignored.

Pretty much my experiences too. I probably look like a workman much of the time to passing motorists, and it's very rare I get beeped or shouted at. I also don't deliberately wind drivers up by blocking lanes to try to prevent overtaking, apart from very briefly when negotiating junctions.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pretty much my experiences too. I probably look like a workman much of the time to passing motorists...

Sat in a Transit van for 7 of your 8 working hours, smoking roll ups and reading the Sun?

Soon to be unemployed brain donors?

DRM

Guru
It wasn’t a close pass at least, so not worth getting upset over & spoiling my day, so in that respect they achieved nothing.

PK99

Legendary Member
I get almost no aggro from drivers... although... riding with one particular friend, she gets annoyed at incidents that I don't even notice. Which makes me wonder.

Ditto.

One guy I used to ride with used to complain about drivers hassling us from behind, while I was grateful they stayed behind waiting for a safe pass.

fted33

Used to get some abuse in Cambridge when I lived there especially form the BMW/Audi brigade usually in traffic. Not had any since the move out to West Norfolk except the once when I stopped a car behind me on a bend he beeped and shouted then went pale when the very large tractor came round the corner at about 40 miles an hour (Beet season). I had seen it from a distance as he had not. I have seen him since and he always waves. You need to be aware of mad tractor drivers round here and cyclists farmers and drivers tend to be polite and thankful when they get warning of approaching traffic.

DRM

Guru
Used to get some abuse in Cambridge when I lived there especially form the BMW/Audi brigade usually in traffic. Not had any since the move out to West Norfolk except the once when I stopped a car behind me on a bend he beeped and shouted then went pale when the very large tractor came round the corner at about 40 miles an hour (Beet season). I had seen it from a distance as he had not. I have seen him since and he always waves. You need to be aware of mad tractor drivers round here and cyclists farmers and drivers tend to be polite and thankful when they get warning of approaching traffic.
Similar thing happened to me, we were driving up to Bakewell in Derbyshire, on a road which has multiple double bends, as it was a bank holiday and sunny there was plenty of motorbikes out literally flying round the bends, one came flying up behind us and I saw him drop it down a gear and start to pass us on one of the bends till I stuck the right hand indicator on to stop him, started gesticulating at me until the Mercedes I could see, but he couldn’t came round the bend missing him by inches, he was setting himself up to hit it head on, the biker passed us on a straight bit of road, a lot steadier this time,the only gesture then was to put a hand up to say thanks.

MarkF

Guru
Did the same today for 41 miles in the sun. No abuse. Cycling is more popular & tolerated in Yorkshire though.
Get cameras filming.

I see & hear abuse directed at groups of club riders every single time I ride in the Dales on a weekend. I cycle alone or with my cousin and can't recall the last time I had any trouble, few years back now.:okay:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I think if your getting multiple incidents of aggro on every ride you maybe need to look at the way you ride.
When on rare occassions it does occur I try not to lower myself to their level. Not allways successfully I must admit.
I agree on that point, as there is a chap in my office that must be the unluckiest and most hated cyclist in the world, as every day he tells me that some 'idiot' pedestrian, dog walker or motorist nearly knocked him off on the way in. The saying 'No smoke without fire' often springs to mind 🤔

newts

Veteran
Me;- construction worker -yes
Transit van - not likely, pile of shite on 4 wheels
Knuckle dragger - yes
Football supporter -yes
Sun reader - never ever, or any other red top paper.
I'm in too many low denominator social groups, i'll never be popular!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I think if your getting multiple incidents of aggro on every ride you maybe need to look at the way you ride.
When on rare occassions it does occur I try not to lower myself to their level. Not allways successfully I must admit.
Lots of this IMO. I ride in an intentional way, there's no question as to what I'm doing and why.

Approaching junctions I move out to centre of lane, especially where railings,posts etc may obscure me from view

Approaching pedestrian refuges or other pinch points, I move to centre of lane in good time

Riding past parked vehicles I give myself door space + some spare for good measure.

Top Bottom