Abuse from drivers. More on a Saturday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Lots of this IMO. I ride in an intentional way, there's no question as to what I'm doing and why.

Approaching junctions I move out to centre of lane, especially where railings,posts etc may obscure me from view

Approaching pedestrian refuges or other pinch points, I move to centre of lane in good time

Riding past parked vehicles I give myself door space + some spare for good measure.
All of the above points listed by TMHNET are vital to keeping safe on the road .
If drivers take offence to me doing any of that they get my dissapointed parent looking at a naughty child look.

Your average driver is rarely fully concentrating on the road.By being confident and demanding your space to ride safely You get their attention and wake them up a bit.

In fairness I rarely get any abuse from drivers .

Skanker

Cliff Richard, Lord Brammall, and Paul Gamnaccini are all very recent, very graphic examples of why that saying is utterly apocryphal. I'm surprised that there are still people out there that haven't realised. Do you still use leeches, or bleed yourself to cure the flu?
My attempt at lighting the log burner this morning is a good example too, 45 minutes of smoke and not a single f’ing flame!

Drago

Legendary Member
When I lived in Stornoway Sunday was the worst time. I tried to avoid cycling out of or back into town around the time of the church commute.
If you'd cycled wearing a preacher's outfit you would have been safe.

PS, what's Stornorway like? Thinking of moving back to the Isles, but selling my place on Shetland and trying elsewhere, a total fresh start. I think I need the change and the challenge.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Arrogant as well - why should someone else be on the road while they drive to church?

iandg

Legendary Member
If you'd cycled wearing a preacher's outfit you would have been safe.

PS, what's Stornorway like? Thinking of moving back to the Isles, but selling my place on Shetland and trying elsewhere, a total fresh start. I think I need the change and the challenge.

I enjoyed my time there (apart from the work issues in the last years) but we never intended to retire there because of the extra distance involved when travelling anywhere or visiting family.

Travel links are good - Ferries and regular flights to Edinburgh, Inverness and Glasgow - but expensive.

You can get everything you need (there's also mail order and local courier services between Inverness stores).

A friendly place - but you never become 'fully accepted' into the local community.

Cycling is good, drivers generally courteous and roads are quiet (but limited) and weather can be cr@p (wind and rain)

Not much to do on Sunday - but that can be a good thing.

iandg

Legendary Member
That does surprise me quite a bit.

Probably says more about me than them.

There is still a group of people who frown upon any activity on the Sabbath other than religious activity.

It could just be a 'Sunday driver' thing. SOME drivers (not all) will pull out of junctions or cross roundabouts with disregard of other road users and force you off road rather than wait at a passing place on single track roads.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Cliff Richard, Lord Brammall, and Paul Gamnaccini are all very recent, very graphic examples of why that saying is utterly apocryphal. I'm surprised that there are still people out there that haven't realised. Do you still use leeches, or bleed yourself to cure the flu?
I meant that the saying applied to the unlucky bloke that I work with and was not a generalisation of everybody in the World :surrender:

The people you have mentioned (IMO) appear to be another example of lengths that the low life media will go to in order to sell a story. Utter Barstewards who will ruin a life and then move on to their next victim :cursing:

A lot of old sayings are not a bad 'rule of thumb' guide until we know facts though. They also tend to sound less aggressive and can be passed off in a joking way rather than some of today's more direct accusatory statements that usually contain a few f-words for effect.. Worse still, the absolute #####cks that comes out during a meeting at work! "Lets not get into the weeds" & "Singing from the same hymn sheet" etc..

I don't use leeches or bleed myself but, I know that maggots are still used regularly in hospitals these days :okay:

simongt

Guru
What I think is amusing is the drivers who hurl abuse at you as they're going past don't realise that at best, a cyclist can only pick out one or two words of said abuse due to the physics of the speed of sound, the moving origins of the source and destination of said sound etc.. :whistle:

iandg

Legendary Member
Arrogant as well - why should someone else be on the road while they drive to church?
I was told a story when I first moved to the island (not sure if it's true) - a new roundabout was put in when they built the new Co-op. On the first Sunday after it's install there was a car stuck in the mud in the middle of the roundabout and the driver, an old woman, trying to explain to the police that it wasn't there last Sunday

Top Bottom