Abuse from drivers. More on a Saturday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
What I think is amusing is the drivers who hurl abuse at you as they're going past don't realise that at best, a cyclist can only pick out one or two words of said abuse due to the physics of the speed of sound, the moving origins of the source and destination of said sound etc.. :whistle:
I am amused when they get stuck in a jam 100yds up the road and you can pass them with your best exaggerated smirk of your face and maybe a sarcastic royal wave and shake of the head too :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are church goers an aggressive bunch then? Or just half asleep from the long service?

They will rain fire and brimstone down on you. Be careful with Sunday drivers.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Are church goers an aggressive bunch then? Or just half asleep from the long service?
I was punishment-passed by a work colleague as she was on her way back from church. Of course, she'd not have done it had she realised who she was punishing... which is an interesting window into the mind of those who do it.

The only place I regularly get abuse is the short stretch of road on my commute with a PWABPO (pavement with a bike painted on) next to it. A significant minority of drivers think I'm under a legal or moral obligation to get off 'their' road so that they can break the speed limit so that they can get to the queuing traffic at the far end of it five seconds earlier.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
They're quite aggressive. Ready to smite down unbelievers at a moments notice, Mind you, it probably didnt help that Iandg used to go for a ride dressed as the Devil
Arrogant as well - why should someone else be on the road while they drive to church?

'Church goer' here! :hello:

In fact, we've even had occasion when we've been able to cycle to church as a family since we've moved to a church closer to home. I apologise for perceived aggression but then again, I was towing a bike trailer up a hill on a fat bike. As for the arrogance, that's just confusing the smugness i got by parking the bikes in the hall way as everyone else fought over the car park spaces ages away ^_^

In our wee Church, there are about half a dozen who are big into cycling i.e. 100+ miles a week regularly, a few others who are casual cyclists and another handful who think it sounds good but haven't the will or urge yet to buy themselves something decent.

I think it's the same as every aspect of life some folk are idiots, some folk are just oblivious and other folk are genuinely ok. I think the split seems to be 1/70/29.
I did the Etape Caledonia a year it was sabotaged with tacks and that was a Church minister, apart from that the majority of folk didn't raise an eyebrow and those that did were positively enthusiastic 😎

iandg

Legendary Member

In fact, we've even had occasion when we've been able to cycle to church as a family since we've moved to a church closer to home. I apologise for perceived aggression but then again, I was towing a bike trailer up a hill on a fat bike. As for the arrogance, that's just confusing the smugness i got by parking the bikes in the hall way as everyone else fought over the car park spaces ages away ^_^

In our wee Church, there are about half a dozen who are big into cycling i.e. 100+ miles a week regularly, a few others who are casual cyclists and another handful who think it sounds good but haven't the will or urge yet to buy themselves something decent.

Lewis is a Sabbatarian stronghold - there are church goers and there are free Presbyterian Church goers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

Kilbride? :becool:

Top Bottom