Abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
2018 has been by far my worst year for cycling from an abuse point of view.

I have had things thrown at me twice, one time when I gestured back almost ended in a nasty confrontation.

Every other ride I’m getting abuse and shouting at me, I honestly don’t know what I’m doing wrong, if I ride any closer to the curb I may as well ride in the pavement so it’s not as if I’m impending people.

I have been very careful in setting my lights up so dazzling people is unlikely.

Maybe I just need to be more thick skinned but it’s really starting to wear a little thin.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:hugs:

gbb

Legendary Member
It may just be bad luck, a passing thing. Personally in 20 years of serious cycling I had one thing thrown at me...that was an empty bottle chucked out of a car by chavs so maybe just bedevilment, not personal or cyclist hatred.
Insults, maybe once or twice, no more....and I ride a strong but respectful of other road users position in the road.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had somebody in a car spray me with piss outside the Cromwell Hospital about eight years ago. Nothing's happened since. I guess I don't get much abuse, or don't notice it.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
It could just be bad luck, today it was a guy going the opposite way he slowed and just hurled abuse for no obvious reason.

Maybe another cyclist had annoyed him earlier, I just gave my opinion of him and pushed on.

Matty T

It's really sad that other road users don't seem to respect each other - and different vehicles attract varying levels of impatience.
Be safe and don't get too mad that it upsets your concentration. Go Pro maybe?

D

Deleted member 1258

I rarely get abuse, but if it happens it's like buses, I don't get anything for ages then several incidents together. Try to ignore them and try to not react, you don't know who you're dealing with and you're vunurable if it kicks of big time. And try to be assertive, don't cower in the gutter.

Top Bottom