Abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Most of the verbal and threats I have had are from other cyclists and joggers, usually because I will always hold my line and pass on the left ,
My GF was always copping it from everyone , but when I got her a new helmet , it seemed to stop , i can only think that she looks more mature wearing it , as she is under 5' im pretty sure a lot of drivers , peds and others thought she was a mid teen ,
amazing ,

D

Deleted member 26715

My response (providing i can get away) is always a dazzling smile, a cheery wave and to blow them a kiss.
Angry men don't like being laughed at.
I use the same method or I sometimes mouth "I love you" instead of the kiss, that really upsets them

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5409246, member: 9609"]ignoring the rampant sexism, ageism and stereotyping you're 100% right. young men should not be allowed a driving licience[/QUOTE]
Its not sexist, nor ageist, nor stereotyping. It’s the accurate descriptive truth of what can happen several times a week to me. Often when I’m cycling along minding my own business, or simply sat waiting for a traffic light. Not sure why you are offended

Oh and nearly always they are white and British

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5409246, member: 9609"]ignoring the rampant sexism, ageism and stereotyping you're 100% right. young men should not be allowed a driving licience[/QUOTE]

Young women may be less likely to possess the hoon gene, but they're far more likely to be prosecuted for mobile phone offences than the boys. They still kill, but on average they go about it rather more discretely, so dont gain the attention of self appointed wise people like us.

Alan O

Über Member
I probably shouldn't tempt fate, but I've never really suffered from any abuse. The closest I can think of was a couple of years ago when someone shouted something from the outside lane of an A road as they sped past me - but I've no idea what they were saying.

I think it helps that I don't commute and I'm never in rush hour work traffic, so I don't really encounter frustrated motorists stuck in their tin boxes. Instead, I ride probably around 90% of my time on quiet roads and cycle paths.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I find that by being 'over the top' nice to people takes the sting out of them as their small brain can't compute nasty/nice at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I don't creep to every road/path user I meet and, I have been known to see the mist at times myself but, by confronting everybody you will just end up getting either hurt, angry and wound-up for the rest of your ride, or worse! If I am holding a few cars up that can't pass then I will give a polite wave to the first one when it can pass and 99% of the time I get one back. If I'm coming up behind other 'shared' path users then a quick ping of your bell or shout of "coming through" will often be met with a thank you. You will never win over every idiot but, if we can all change a few of them it will add up in the end :angel::okay:

fatjel

Veteran
I moved to Wales this year and I’m trying without success to think of any abuse aimed at me on my bike.

Will Spin

Über Member
I noticed more abuse during the long hot summer of this year, it may be that people were driving around with their windows down and I could hear the anti cyclist rants of the swivel eyed lunatics. I receive more abuse when I'm out with my club, it seems that a group of cyclists is like a red rag to a bull as far as some are concerned, no matter how polite and well discliplined we are.

Drago

Legendary Member
Which is relevant to a thread about cyclists getting abuse from motorists how?
About as relevant as your comments about fast male drivers in mummy's souped up cast off shopping car, I guess. Just making the point that bad behaviour is not the sole preserve of WASP males.

This is a 'discussion', and it may surprise you to know that discussions progress and evolve. Don't expect any sycophantic nodding in agreement from me just to suit you. If I think something is even vaguely relevant to the discussion I shall trot it out, and I won't be asking your permission.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My niece once posted a video of her and her boyfriend doing over 110 mph on Facebook - she was a passenger in a Corsa. I quoted ' the biggest killer of young girls is their boyfriends driving' - she deleted it and apologised - it worked as she's sensible now, despite having some fast cars. Her dad wasn't around, and hasn't been since she was a kid, but the 'uncle' stopped it. She still has fast cars, but isn't an idiot now.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I haven’t had any abuse recently. If I have, I haven’t noticed. A lot of the time I have a very cute 9 year old Stoker on the back which the motons ooh and aah at. When I’m on my own bike, I try and wave ‘thanks’ or ‘thumbs up’ to the decent road users. I don’t have enough decent free time to let the ignoramuses ruin the little time I have.

Top Bottom