Abuse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The other day I managed to finally use my excellent one liner (that I learned right here on cc). The driver told/asked me why don't I use the bike.lame so I told him I would use the bike lane when he uses the motorway. That was wonderful!

I usually used 'kiss my ar$e' except on one of the first CC track meets, one of the lads from here was in his convertible, and gave me 'verbal' and I really nearly said something unsuitable for before the 9pm watershed, then spotted his smiling face !!!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I wouldn't be doing that no matter how childish they act. Safety first and so on. Keep a good 3 feet minimum from the road side no matter who's wanting to pass.
Not always. On narrow lanes with a car behind I will get in tight to the verge and wave them through

Think I've only had one driver shout something at me whilst passing this year. Had loads of waves though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
More recently. I'd been out with some local guys on the MTB and we'd got to the bottom of an 'official' bridleway, and they said we'd have to ride down here to get to the road - it was about 10ft wide and next to the river, but not specifically a bridleway. We went down it slowly, no persons on it. Got to a main car park so rode through it, then got abused by an old biddy about how horrible we were, she was now in the middle of a public highway giving us massive abuse. We rode on, then saw lots of people walking in the middle of the road, did any of us abuse folk, nope.... Promote your chosen transport by being courteous to others. fairly simple ! Ignore the idiots.

D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5409793, member: 9609"]Yes I will often do that as well, although I will block their way until they slow down to my pace fist, they're not coming past at 50 if there is only going to be a foot of room. Its always a bit of a judgement call on many things from road surface to how careful I think they may be, sometimes I stop and get off.[/QUOTE]
This was why I argued against the minimum distance when it was being discussed a few weeks ago, there are times when it is safe when both parties cooperate even without the proposed legal limit.

boydj

Legendary Member
Young women may be less likely to possess the hoon gene, but they're far more likely to be prosecuted for mobile phone offences than the boys. They still kill, but on average they go about it rather more discretely, so dont gain the attention of self appointed wise people like us.

I find the boy racers tend to think of themselves as good drivers and seldom give me a problem. Young ladies, on the other hand are often fast and aggressive, without the road sense that the boys seem to have. Sounds a bit sexist, but that's my experience over the last couple of years both on the bike and in my car.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
About as relevant as your comments about fast male drivers in mummy's souped up cast off shopping car, I guess. Just making the point that bad behaviour is not the sole preserve of WASP males.

Actually both times something was thrown at me it was a car of 2-3 young blokes 18-19 One was a Corsa with a whale tail, the other had the wings widened so cars like that ring alarm bells for me now.

One situation ended in a road side confrontation which was broken up by another road user saying he witnessed them throwing something and then threatening me, so it is relevant.

But I was stupid as I didn’t back down when confronted by 3 people so I’m a complete fool for that, but the red mist had well and truly descended.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Maybe I have been lucky, (famous last words!), but verbal abuse tends to be rare. In the last 12 months , I can only recall two occasions when it has happened and both were on commutes. One was the passenger of a Tarmac lorry, who shouted about using a cycle lane, with the second being a couple young white males in a pick up, gobbing off, seemingly for their own amusement.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I wouldn't be doing that no matter how childish they act. Safety first and so on. Keep a good 3 feet minimum from the road side no matter who's wanting to pass.

I was keeping further out but after a string of particularly bad rides I started hugging the curb I know it’s a bad position.

I will just find some more rural routes and avoid the larger roads, or just stick with the cuckoo trail to Eastbourne.

D

Deleted member 26715

I find the boy racers tend to think of themselves as good drivers and seldom give me a problem. Young ladies, on the other hand are often fast and aggressive, without the road sense that the boys seem to have. Sounds a bit sexist, but that's my experience over the last couple of years both on the bike and in my car.
This is so wrong in so many ways, but I find myself agreeing with you

vickster

Legendary Member
Except women drivers don't hurl aggressive highly unpleasant verbal insults at female cyclists when stationary, nothing to do with whether than can drive or not, which was my point. Except on several occasions I've also been subjected to close passes and brake testing after the verbals. farkwits

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5410071, member: 9609"]I agree that is just totally unacceptable, pity you havnt got one of them on film, they don't deserve a licience, I'm sure the cops would act.
I'm with you 100% on this, it must me horrible to have to put up with that.[/QUOTE]
Why then did you acuse me of sexism, ageism and stereotyping?

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hmm, the distance thing is such a personal choice based on the number of sunken drains, debris and dead things. I like to go for 3ft-4ft on the busier roads (when possible) and then when I hear something that sounds big or close about to pass me, I will 'gently' ease in 1ft-2ft as that puts them even further away from me. The one thing I can never understand though is why a cyclist will opt to use the main carriageway of a busy A road full of buses and lorries when there is a seperate purpose build shared path running alongside (A5117 springs to mind). I don't think anybody in the morgue will be interested in your Strava PB's

Julia9054

Guru
Well I'm sure your experience is far more valuable than actual evience
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/broa...orse-drivers-than-menstatistics-say-otherwise
I haven't made a study of this, but i can use google.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I'm sure your experience is far more valuable than actual evience
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/broa...orse-drivers-than-menstatistics-say-otherwise
I haven't made a study of this, but i can use google.
I'd also be interested to know how many cyclist and ped KSIs were due to male vs. female drivers?

Some Uk stats...http://www.brake.org.uk/facts-resources/1593-driver-gender
  • In Britain 95% of convictions for deaths caused by dangerous driving are against men;
  • In the UK, the number of male drivers reported having driven under the influence of drugs, was four times higher than the number of female drivers who admitted to the same offence

Last edited:
Top Bottom