Accident Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Phew, for a moment there I thought you were asking for Accident Advice :ohmy:
Just a thread started, drawing in advice from others on here & elsewhere, to try and help anyone involved in one.
Thanks for the thought though.

Editing rather than bumping to the front,. This from @Vikeonabike's Statement Template!
I know this may sound grim (given the context of the thread) but can I suggest another useful tool? In this case how to better call for an ambulance...you'd be amazed how garbled things can get, I know it should be obvious and the operators are very good but you'll find this helps. Very easy and useful acronym: L I O N E L

Location : "I'm at the junction of Smith St and Jones Road etc" Don't assume your mobile phone gives enough information
Incident : e.g. "There's been a road traffic accident etc"
Other Services needed : e.g. "We need the Police as well etc"
Number of casualties : "2 people are hurt etc"
Extent of injuries : "One is unconscious, the other has hurt their leg etc"

This way you can deliver the maximum amount of information, in a useful order, in the minimum time. I've had to use it a few times and it really settles the mind when you're otherwise not necessarily thinking straight.

Budge
p.s. It's also really useful to teach to kids.

Last edited:

biking_fox

Guru
Can we get this stickied back to the top please. It's important information.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
whssign.JPG
I was looking for it earlier today & could not find it. Used the search titles facility but it helped to know that it was there to be found !

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Can we get this stickied back to the top please. It's important information.
The best way to make this kind of request is to report the post - that will bring it to the attention of the moderators (I just happened upon it while browsing).

I need to find out first why it was un-stickied, but you can now consider the matter brought to our attention!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
The best way to make this kind of request is to report the post - that will bring it to the attention of the moderators (I just happened upon it while browsing).

I need to find out first why it was un-stickied first, but you can now consider the matter brought to our attention!
It wasn't "stickied/pinned" in the first place. To many other threads already "stuck/pinned". Top of the first page was at one stage nearly all pinned threads.

Tagged with thread title, when the tags were introduced.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ah, thanks Classic. I assumed from an earlier post that it had been stickied.
Making it a sticky somewhere could be useful too, but not sure this forum is the place for it. Will see what the other mods think.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Ah, thanks Classic. I assumed from an earlier post that it had been stickied.
Making it a sticky somewhere could be useful too, but not sure this forum is the place for it. Will see what the other mods think.
Like it says in the OP, it's been gathered from on here & elsewhere into one post. Thread updated as others add to it. Laws change & we find new ways of doing things.
It meant everything in one place, hopefully, should it be needed.

For checking the vehicle registration, Note that
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e2s1
has changed and is now
https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Edited rather than bump it to the front

Last edited:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Record any over the medication taken.
In the afterwards section, tiny omission typo - as you will see. Great advice here and well done.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Great Post. _ This should be pinned/sticky'd to the top of this and other forums.

Also love the ICE info. The rest seems sound to me. I'd want it as a PDF or something I can print/save and refer to if I ever needed it. Maybe you can sell it!
@classic33, I tried to PM you but I am not allowed to PM you! Here's what I wrote:

Hello!

Great information, @biking_fox asked for a .pdf of it. Do you mind if I supply a link to one and update when you update the first post? Here's an example.

Cheers :smile:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33, I tried to PM you but I am not allowed to PM you! Here's what I wrote:

Hello!

Great information, @biking_fox asked for a .pdf of it. Do you mind if I supply a link to one and update when you update the first post? Here's an example.

Cheers :smile:
No problem with anyone printing it off, in part or in full. It's not all my own "work", pulled from various posts on here and elsewhere.

Editing the first post is now out of my hands, over a year old, but feel free to add it to the thread.

Note that some of the links in the first post have been updated, whilst others have been added.

Last edited:
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
In the afterwards section, tiny omission typo - as you will see. Great advice here and well done.
Should have been any over the the counter medication. You missed the extra line, not required, at this point as I did.
Note:
No damage no injury = no need to exchange anything
Damage, but no injury = need to exchange name and address of driver, and name and address of owner of the car if different, and registration number.

Injury of any level = exchange name and address of driver and owner AND insurance details of driver.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't go to a Doctor with a minor injury and tell to make detailed notes cos might sue. Many get quite narked at this as their primary role is that of physician, not of unpaid evidence gatherer for an insurance company.

Go by all means, but be diplomatic about the genuine reason for your visit.

bruce1530

Guru
If you have an iPhone, open the “Health” app, then select “Medical ID” (bottom right) then “edit”.

You can add emergency contact numbers, important medical details, allergies, details of medications etc. For example, mine contains the mobile numbers for my wife and daughters, and notes that i am diabetic.

You then select “Show when locked”.

That means that even if the phone is locked, someone can press the “emergency” button, select “Medical ID”, and it’ll display that info, and let them call the emergency contacts.

People like the Ambulance Service will know to check this. It’s also increasingly being mentioned when people do First Aid training.

Last edited:
Top Bottom