Accident bike back. old bike condemned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
irresponsibilty like that has caused compulsory helmet wearing and bike licencing in australia.

It was 1982, cycle helmets didn't really even exist, being poor we had no choice as children if you loved cycling, everyone of my freinds cycled about on bodge up bikes

As for your cycling laws, well its your people who voted those silly regulations in as of why Id never go Australia

Wouldn't happen in most of Europe would it

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It was 1982, cycle helmets didn't really even exist, being poor we had no choice as children if you loved cycling, everyone of my freinds cycled about bodge up bikes

As for your cycling laws, well its your people who voted those silly regulations in as of why Id never go Australia

Wouldn't happen in most of Europe would it

Umm - I was being facetious, (not to you), and (b) I'm not Australian, though did spend a year there.

They do like banning stuff in Oz though, despite the country and people's considerable other virtues. there was a letter in the Sydney Morning Herald calling for "banning this deadly craze" - which turned out to be roller skating

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The world and especially the roads are rather busier than in 1982

It's best not to put yourself and others at risk riding a bike known to be damaged if you can possibly I reckon :smile:

@Accy cyclist is the rest of the compo going to go towards a plastic fantastic replacement still? ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Regarding the bickering about the hazards of riding a Scott with a cracked head tube ... @just_fixed ended up in hospital with serious facial injuries when the front end of his Scott suddenly snapped off - LINK. He hadn't seen any sign of the manufacturing fault which caused the crash, so I would suggest that riding a bike with an obvious fault like that is not really a great idea. (Mind you, I have probably done equally risky things myself at times!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Regarding the bickering about the hazards of riding a Scott with a cracked head tube ... @just_fixed ended up in hospital with serious facial injuries when the front end of his Scott suddenly snapped off - LINK. He hadn't seen any sign of the manufacturing fault which caused the crash, so I would suggest that riding a bike with an obvious fault like that is not really a great idea. (Mind you, I have probably done equally risky things myself at times!)

I agree completely. A cracked frame isn't something I'd risk riding, just maybe limp home cautiously if that, but i'd probably get off and push.

The beef was the exageration that it could cause a big vehicle pile up involving the nuclear waste convoy... well something like

Oldfentiger

Veteran
When I was 14 I had a Raleigh "racer".
I bent the forks back as a result of riding into the back of a stationary car.
The wheel then wouldn't clear the downtube.
I fixed that by putting in a 26" wheel and carried on riding it for 6 months.
Don't think it was cracked though :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on topic....

Shame about the other bike. Very tempted to get my bike fixed - just needs new forks and I'll replace the headset bearings as well. Will need to check with the Solicitor though. Don't really see the need to take it to the shop as I can do the work better.

Good news on the case coming to an end.

Tim Hall

When I was 14 I had a Raleigh "racer".
I bent the forks back as a result of riding into the back of a stationary car.
The wheel then wouldn't clear the downtube.
I fixed that by putting in a 26" wheel and carried on riding it for 6 months.
Don't think it was cracked though :whistle:
When I was 16 or 17, I had a Vindec Speedster. The brazing holding the toptube to the seat tube gave way, leaving the joint somewhat loose. Fortunately there was a wee hole in the lug, and a corresponding one in the tube, so I "fixed" it by poking a nail through both.

Citius

I agree completely. A cracked frame isn't something I'd risk riding, just maybe limp home cautiously if that, but i'd probably get off and push.

It would depend where the crack was. A crack in one of the stays or anything behind the BB and I would not have any issues in riding it home. Having a rear end collapse would be tricky, but managable. Continuing to ride a bike while being aware of a crack in the head tube is potentially suicidal.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Hilarious. I'll remind you of that when you're in hospital and trolling for attention with your 'poor me' thread. If you think what you've done is ok, then you need your head testing.

No he didn't.

Should have stopped riding the bike after it was first spotted.

It's idiocy like this that give ammuntiion to the brigade who want compulsory insurance and helmets for riders on bikes. No one in their right mind would use another road going vehicle with such a problem. Why is it ok for a bike? It's not, is it.... You can argue the toss otherwise, I can't be bothered. I'm out.

Oh how you can turn a friendly intended thread into a war of words!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
When I was about 10 I made what we called a bogey.Basically a box with wheels to roll downhill on.brakes and steering were considered usefull but not essential.
all the other kids had little wheels from old pushchairs or something I used some big wheels from an old fashioned pram.

Result was entirely predictable .I won my first (only)race down thr hill moments before carreering into a wall at at least 100 mph and hurting a bit.

Retired from the bogey racing world bruised but unbeaten .

Personally I would have put a hose clip round the cracked head tube untill I had cash for a new frame.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When I was about 10 I made what we called a bogey.Basically a box with wheels to roll downhill on.brakes and steering were considered usefull but not essential.
all the other kids had little wheels from old pushchairs or something I used some big wheels from an old fashioned pram.

Result was entirely predictable .I won my first (only)race down thr hill moments before carreering into a wall at at least 100 mph and hurting a bit.

Retired from the bogey racing world bruised but unbeaten .

Personally I would have put a hose clip round the cracked head tube untill I had cash for a new frame.

I have two other bikes. So it's not that bad!:smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I was 16 or 17, I had a Vindec Speedster. The brazing holding the toptube to the seat tube gave way, leaving the joint somewhat loose. Fortunately there was a wee hole in the lug, and a corresponding one in the tube, so I "fixed" it by poking a nail through both.
And now look what you've done to Australia. I hope you're thoroughly ashamed of yourself. ;)

Top Bottom