Is Carbon that much better than aluminium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think carbon has a place, but not on bikes

rolleyes.gif

potsy

Rambler
What are the advantages of Titanium over carbon then?
I am contemplating getting a really nice bike later in the year or early next year, it will be my weekend/leisure bike and won't be used for commutes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 I've recently bought a Cannondale CAAD10, yes it's aluminium, but it rides equally as well as my Focus Cayo, and with wheelset I put on it the overall package is far better IMO.
The confidence I have on the CAAD at speed is something I've never felt on a carbon bike. IMO, carbon has it's place, but it's not on the pot holed streets of GB.

But you're probably no where near the same size as that big norvern oaf..
whistling.gif
thumbsup.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some people talk about failure modes and hidden damage and delamination when discussing carbon frames.

Seeing as the majority of carbon frames have lifetime warranty's I wouldn't have though failure modes, hidden damage and delamination should worry anybody.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Did I not say this thread would open up a can of worms...
rolleyes.gif

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Seeing as the majority of carbon frames have lifetime warranty's I wouldn't have though failure modes, hidden damage and delamination should worry anybody.

scott genius ltd full monty carbon fibre rig, full six inch of suspension front and back, the frame snapped going down a very gentle sloped mini valley(?). the wheel stopped, i kept going into an unconscious heap. fractured eye socket and two big f*** off gouges down the side of my head where it had fit between 2 stumps. luckily, i wasn't wearing a helmet, if i was, my head wouldn't have fit through the gap and my neck would have been broken.

frame replaced under lifetime warranty, no apology. promptly sold. i won't ride carbon now, far far too scared. my cx has cf forks, i didn't know when i bought it as they are sprayed same colour as the frame. i will probably sell it.

scott genius ltd full monty carbon fibre rig, full six inch of suspension front and back, the frame snapped going down a very gentle sloped mini valley(?). the wheel stopped, i kept going into an unconscious heap. fractured eye socket and two big f*** off gouges down the side of my head where it had fit between 2 stumps. luckily, i wasn't wearing a helmet, if i was, my head wouldn't have fit through the gap and my neck would have been broken.

frame replaced under lifetime warranty, no apology. promptly sold. i won't ride carbon now, far far too scared. my cx has cf forks, i didn't know when i bought it as they are sprayed same colour as the frame. i will probably sell it.

Nice one, you managed to have a go at carbon and helmets in the same paragraph :thumbsup:

Top Bottom