Is Carbon that much better than aluminium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
do i wear a helmet?

this thread is about something else, can you keep your helmet fetish on the threads designed for that purpose....unless of course this is an attempt at humour....in which case you need all the practice you can get

david k

Hi
biggrin.gif
No. Very little point really.

Just Lynx Africa and a smile..........

biggrin.gif
asdas own deodrant will have to do.

smile and keep eyes shut eh?

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 41

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wasnever worried about my carbon frame until I read this thread :sad:

Don't let it worry you...the professional peleton don't seem to be worried and they throw their bikes around far heavily then we do. Ohh yes, in that case you had not better board an aircraft or a boat as they are now mostly made of carbon fibre.

Things break, it happen's now and again.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Don't let it worry you...the professional peleton don't seem to be worried and they throw their bikes around far heavily then we do. Ohh yes, in that case you had not better board an aircraft or a boat as they are now mostly made of carbon fibre.

Things break, it happen's now and again.

Yep, a simple internet search will turn up examples of failed steel, carbon, ti and aluminium....as a sample of all bikes sold these failures are vanishingly small and, in some cases, can be down to user error/lack of maintenance.

david k

Hi
Yep, a simple internet search will turn up examples of failed steel, carbon, ti and aluminium....as a sample of all bikes sold these failures are vanishingly small and, in some cases, can be down to user error/lack of maintenance.

or because they are not fit for purpose?
or maybe a cheap version?

vorsprung

Veteran
An expensive, well made aluminum bike might be better than a cheap carbon bike

But assuming similar levels of quality of construction carbon usually makes a better bike

This is because carbon is a better material if wisely used. It can be stronger than aluminium or much more flexible. Or both in the same component in different directions

Aluminum might be better for a bike that got a lot of surface scratches or knocks but other than that carbon would always be better

Titanium is a wonder material for bikes. Particularly if you want to do fast(ish) long distance. It absorbs high frequency road noise better. It is light.

Steel is cheap and has excellent ride charactistics. A well made steel bike could be lighter and more comfortable than a carbon bike

Andrew_P

In between here and there
A serious question: How to tell if the carbon is on its way out?

I have a Roubaix Comp, and the finish looks like exposesd carbon, so I guess a look around for splits etc?

Have to say it rides lovely, coming from a steel hybrid, I would find it really difficult moving back!

andygates

Carbon "goes" quickly, so you'll prpbably miss the "on its way out" stage between "fine" and "explosive delamination". ;)

Top Bottom