Is Carbon that much better than aluminium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My Scott Speedster is probably classed as an entry level bike by most people but its the best bike I have ever had and I am still loving it after nearly 2 years and several thousand miles.

I dont want to replace it yet but still like studying the bikes available etc .It seems to me that if you are happy with ally you can get a much better specced bike for the same money. Is Carbon really that much of an improvement in ride quality?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Folk with carbon bikes say it is, I still love my alu bike and think it's a great ride. All my others are steel, if I was getting a fancy bike I'd go for titanium.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a veritable can of worms you are opening up there Banjo.

I have a Specialized Roubaix Elite and a Specialized Secteur Elite. One is carbon, one is alu.
They both share the same geometry.
The difference in riding though is chalk and cheese. The carbon is far more forgiving on the road and a much comfier ride then the alu.
It did take me a little while to get used to the harsher alu ride after being spoilt with the carbon.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
The Queen might not be the kingpin of the drug trade but she was knocking out some decent Lebanese blonde hash and Maui Wowee last time I saw her.

Have you been hanging round the workshop when they've been epoxying again?
high.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Like any frame material, you can get good and bad in handling - all depends upon geomerty, carbon layup etc. etc.

If you want one, get one as a n+1. It's up to you.

It's a veritable can of worms you are opening up there Banjo.

I have a Specialized Roubaix Elite and a Specialized Secteur Elite. One is carbon, one is alu.
They both share the same geometry.
The difference in riding though is chalk and cheese. The carbon is far more forgiving on the road and a much comfier ride then the alu.
It did take me a little while to get used to the harsher alu ride after being spoilt with the carbon.

I agree with Ian 100%.

I have an alu Focus and a carbon scott, the rides are both different but both excellent really. The Carbon frame is much more comfortable and seems to absorb more of the lumps and bumps.

Theres certainly no need to be afraid of breaking a carbon frame, in normal use they are as good as alu.

I agree with Ian 100%.

I have an alu Focus and a carbon scott, the rides are both different but both excellent really. The Carbon frame is much more comfortable and seems to absorb more of the lumps and bumps.

Theres certainly no need to be afraid of breaking a carbon frame, in normal use they are as good as alu.

I own an aluminium Pinarello and a carbon Scott CR1,the Scott gives a very smooth ride.As for my steel bikes they are nice in their own way.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
So carbon is more comfortable & forgiving and gives a smoother ride... all of which sounds nice.

What's the downside to carbon in any given frame (if everything except the material is the same as an equivalent aluminium/ titanium frame)?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So carbon is more comfortable & forgiving and gives a smoother ride... all of which sounds nice.

What's the downside to carbon in any given frame (if everything except the material is the same as an equivalent aluminium/ titanium frame)?

I have yet to find a downside.

I don't think I'll buy another carbon bike. I seem to spend all my time petrified I'm going to break it.
+1 I've recently bought a Cannondale CAAD10, yes it's aluminium, but it rides equally as well as my Focus Cayo, and with wheelset I put on it the overall package is far better IMO.
The confidence I have on the CAAD at speed is something I've never felt on a carbon bike. IMO, carbon has it's place, but it's not on the pot holed streets of GB.

Top Bottom