Is Carbon that much better than aluminium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would have thought if it was good enough for formula I then it should be OK on bikes. I had a steel snap in half when I was 7 still got a scar on my head to prove it, if I had a helmet on I would have got away without a mark.

Zoiders

Carbon has it's place of course depending on what you want in a bike, I do think that the major manufacturers are missing a trick by not offering carbon frames that are slightly more simple and over built and capable of taking guards or a light rack.

Instead it all seems to err on the side of being high and race orientated when they could be churning out really good winter commuters and training frames that withstand road salt and corrosion, but then again where is the money in offering a frame that doesn't rust/corrode and lasts you for 20 years no matter how wet or salty it gets?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Carbon has it's place of course depending on what you want in a bike, I do think that the major manufacturers are missing a trick by not offering carbon frames that are slightly more simple and over built and capable of taking guards or a light rack.

Instead it all seems to err on the side of being high and race orientated when they could be churning out really good winter commuters and training frames that withstand road salt and corrosion, but then again where is the money in offering a frame that doesn't rust/corrode and lasts you for 20 years no matter how wet or salty it gets?

apparently they can according to scott usa, but they would weigh more than aluminium.

Zoiders

<BR>apparently they can according to scott usa, but they would weigh more than aluminium. <FONT color=#000000><FONT face="arial, sans-serif"><FONT size=2></FONT></FONT></FONT><BR>
Not by much I would bet, it's more the utility and service life that you could get out of it that seems to be something that manufacturers are avoiding in favour of more finite values.

But you're probably no where near the same size as that big norvern oaf..
whistling.gif
thumbsup.png
6' 5" and 18+ stone :eek:

This thread's not going to help me sell my Focus Izalco is it :angry:
It's a brand new frameset built up with full Dura-Ace 7900 if anyone's interested :whistle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Just added the smiley I should have put in when I wrote it.

Carbon fibre helmets, now that is the way to go, not forgetting the shoes as well.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Considering almost every Ally bike has a carbon fork I wouldnt let any scare stories put me off a full carbon bike.

Top Bottom