Is Carbon that much better than aluminium ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingstonBiker

I have a Specialized Roubaix Elite and a Specialized Secteur Elite. One is carbon, one is alu.
They both share the same geometry.
The difference in riding though is chalk and cheese. The carbon is far more forgiving on the road and a much comfier ride then the alu.
It did take me a little while to get used to the harsher alu ride after being spoilt with the carbon.

Ian, I have the Secteur Elite and have just discovered my next door neighbour has the Roubaix Elite (although I've never seen him riding it). I have two questions. Firstly if the Roubaix is a better ride why keep/use the Secteur? Do you use one to commute the other for longer rides? Secondly if I swapped my bike with my neighbour would he notice?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ian, I have the Secteur Elite and have just discovered my next door neighbour has the Roubaix Elite (although I've never seen him riding it). I have two questions. Firstly if the Roubaix is a better ride why keep/use the Secteur? Do you use one to commute the other for longer rides? Secondly if I swapped my bike with my neighbour would he notice?

Yep, Secteur Elite is my day to day commute bike, Roubaix Elite is my nice, long distance bike. Yes your neighbour will notice as much as you would notice if you ride his.

gratuitous pic of the 2 bikes
gallery_1435_53_10775.jpg

KingstonBiker

Yep, Secteur Elite is my day to day commute bike, Roubaix Elite is my nice, long distance bike. Yes your neighbour will notice as much as you would notice if you ride his.

gratuitous pic of the 2 bikes

Nice. I'll have to start convincing the wife I'll need another bike next year.

peelywally

rode steel alu and carbon and my favourite has to be alu , never felt quite right on carbon (was a friends i dont have that sort of cash )

i used to like steel then i found the lightness of alu irrestible next step up is carbon or titanium but they just feel fragile light to me so i,ll stick to alu .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A well built/designed bike is just that, what ever material. Carbon does best strength/weight ratio.

It's the legs/lungs that count. But a nice bike is great too.

J4CKO

My two failures have been ally bars snapping where it goes into the stem and a steel frame snapping at the rear stays, so other materials do fail.

Being out of the saddle yanking the bars and realising something is wrong and that the right bar is not steering at all is pretty alarming.

Jumping a cheap, steel framed 1980's Raleigh on a BMX track is not advisable, the Raleigh "Equipe" was not a natural competitor for a Diamond Back, Huffy or Mongoose :biggrin:

david k

Hi
my only failure was a big mountain bike type bike from the 80s. i did a jump and landed on back wheel, when front went down the folks bent alarmingly! they were the days. big old heavy steep bso

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Is Carbon really that much of an improvement in ride quality?
the short answer is yes.

the slightly longer answer is that geometry plays a part in comfort (and purchasing a bike without test-riding it is taking a risk) and the answer that is ever so slightly longer is that carbon forks and a carbon seatpost will give you some benefit if you can't afford or don't want a full carbon frame.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thing is, the most important part of a bike is the engine that sits on it.

If you get a Carbon bike, you are top of the tree. So in theory no one should pass you unless on a TT bike. However if you are on an aluminium, you can be smug about any carbon bike that is going slower than you. That is the only thing stopping me upgrading.

hotmetal

However if you are on an aluminium, you can be smug about any carbon bike that is going slower than you. That is the only thing stopping me upgrading.

Ha! So true! I've always been a bit allergic to looking like "all the gear and no idea" so have tried to avoid having all the posh stuff/team kit. (Not hard if you're not made of cash anyway). Even my swanky ahem carbon road bike was a secondhand purchase. I paid for a 6 year old full carbon full Record bike what a new Allez with Tiagra would cost. I must say I'm loving it! And it hasn't snapped. However, now I have to make sure I don't get beasted by someone on a cheapy bike! Good motivation…

I think a decent carbon frame is great for road bikes, which tend to get looked after, but I do have reservations about carbon frames for off-road use. Not that carbon frames might be "not strong/flexy enough" when new, but more about the likelihood that off-road, sooner or later (in any given ride if you're trying hard) you're going to crash and if a rock takes a gouge out of the carbon it could be a write-off.

Rather than believe internet hype from fanboys of either persuasion, I'd ask about lifetime warranties. If a frame manufacturer (like Felt's mountainbikes IIRC) only offers a one year limited warranty, maybe you should worry. But if carbon bikes generally were failing all the time, I think someone would have said something. Statistically I suspect the numbers are very small. All the frames I've heard of that broke were ally, but that might be because it's more common, especially in mountainbikes. The whole debate, to me, seems like some folks are just put off by the idea that a bike "should" be made of metal and "carbon is plastic which is what toys are made of". I'd say just get a few test rides in and buy the bike you think rides the nicest, and don't worry about it breaking.

Of course, the self respecting eco-hippy would be riding bamboo anyway…

Wobblers

Euthermic
The frame material is much less important than the fit: no matter what wonder material it's made of, if your bike doesn't fit you, it'll never be comfortable.

Carbon has the highest strength to weight and stiffness to weight ratio of any material, so it's possible to make a lighter frame out of it. But the truth is, you can make an oustanding frame out of either carbon or alloy: The Cannondale CAAD 9 (alloy) is as good as most carbon bikes. Just pick the one that you like best after a test ride and you won't go far wrong.

Carbon has the highest strength to weight and stiffness to weight ratio of any material, so it's possible to make a lighter frame out of it. But the truth is, you can make an oustanding frame out of either carbon or alloy: The Cannondale CAAD 9 (alloy) is as good as most carbon bikes. Just pick the one that you like best after a test ride and you won't go far wrong.

I agree - basically the lighter the frame the more responsive that frame will be. It's amazing how much small changes in the weight affect performance - I have 2 alloy frames both the same stiffness but the 1kg frame is light years better than the 1.5kg frame.

If I had the choice of a 1.5kg carbon or 1kg alloy I'd take the alloy every time.

Top Bottom