Accident bike back. old bike condemned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I got my Ridgeback Panorama back from the repair bloke tonight. He's put new forks on, new Ultegra brakes to replace the naff Tektro ones, new wheel rims, a new headset and other bits and bobs. Parts and labour cost £345. Cheaper than buying a new bike and it's coming out my accident claim which is due to be settled very soon. I asked him to take my old Scott road bike away to put a new chain, cassette and bottom bracket on. I mentioned a 2 cm crack on the headtube, to him. He looked at it and said the bike was unsafe and not worth repairing. So that's it. I got my accident bike back after it's been sat there damaged, for 10 months, and i've found out that my 16 year old Scott has come to the end of its days.:sad:

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
So you've been riding a bike knowing it has a 2cm crack in the head tube? Seriously?

outlash

also available in orange
Yes but i've also ridden on the A59 at tea time. A little more dangerous than a slight crack in a bike frame i'd say.:hello:

So when the tube gives way after hitting a pothole, at best you'll be picking your teeth and your forks off the road. Worse, you'll be scraped off the road after being hit by a vehicle trying to do the same. So no, it's not the same as riding along a busy road at all.

Would you drive a car knowing it has a crack in the chassis? Imagine if you did get run over, how that driver feels. They don't know that you were riding a deathtrap. I'm glad the LBS took the bike away from you, perhaps they should do the same with the rest of your fleet.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So when the tube gives way after hitting a pothole, at best you'll be picking your teeth and your forks off the road. Worse, you'll be scraped off the road after being hit by a vehicle trying to do the same. So no, it's not the same as riding along a busy road at all.

Would you drive a car knowing it has a crack in the chassis? Imagine if you did get run over, how that driver feels. They don't know that you were riding a deathtrap. I'm glad the LBS took the bike away from you, perhaps they should do the same with the rest of your fleet.

That's it troll. Keep on trolling.:hello:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry but the comment makes sense. "I'm riding a bike that might fail big time and kill me but I don't care what it might mean for me, my family or anyone else involved" is ok then ?. Again we see why people think cyclists are irresponsible fools.

And up pops another troll.:rolleyes:

MarkF

Guru

Your imagination is out of control.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Remember OP's Scott's got a steerer tube inside the head tube so that might hold it together. Great OP spotted the crack early, stopped riding the bike and checked the Scott was worth spending money on before (not) doing so. Quality and swift troll spotting!
Your imagination is out of control.

outlash

also available in orange
That's it troll. Keep on trolling.:hello:

Hilarious. I'll remind you of that when you're in hospital and trolling for attention with your 'poor me' thread. If you think what you've done is ok, then you need your head testing.

Great OP spotted the crack early, stopped riding the bike and checked the Scott was worth spending money on before (not) doing so

No he didn't.

No. It started small then lengthened after a few rides. I haven't ridden it since.

Should have stopped riding the bike after it was first spotted.

It's idiocy like this that give ammuntiion to the brigade who want compulsory insurance and helmets for riders on bikes. No one in their right mind would use another road going vehicle with such a problem. Why is it ok for a bike? It's not, is it.... You can argue the toss otherwise, I can't be bothered. I'm out.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Ok then. You've ridden a bike more than once with a worsening crack in the headtube? Seriously?

Back in the day when I was about 12yrs old my bike frame came from the local rubbish bump, plus all the other parts

It was knocked together with a hammer and adjustable spanner, had no brakes, no gears, no lights, the crank and chain wheel fell off on a regular basis, cycled all over Manchester and into Cheshire on that bike for years

No one died or had a serious accident :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Back in the day when I was about 12yrs old my bike frame came from the local rubbish bump, plus all the other parts

It was knocked together with a hammer and adjustable spanner, had no brakes, no gears, no lights, the crank and chain wheel fell off on a regular basis, cycled all over Manchester and into Cheshire on that bike for years

No one died or had a serious accident :smile:

irresponsibilty like that has caused compulsory helmet wearing and bike licencing in australia.

Top Bottom