Accident repairs - excessive quotes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was in collision with a car a few months ago. Case still going on. I had to get a quote for the repairs to my bike.

Got a quote from local bike shop (A) the total quote was around £650.

A big part of the damage was my wheel. It's a hand built wheel with quality parts. Bike shop (A) quoted me £350 for the repair of the wheel. However I could get the wheel replaced with the exactly the same wheel from the online shop I got it from in the first place for around £180. So why £350?

I the went to bike shop (B) at the quoted me for entire work at £400. They did the work for me and managed to fix wheel without replacing it so total cost of work was £200.

I could have do all of the work myself but insurance company need a independent quote. I think I could have done all work as well as replace wheel for around £350.

As I needed the bike to get to work I needed to get bike fixed and payed for ASAP. So I couldn't wait for a settlement from insurance. Insurance company gave me permission to do this.

Over £650 repair bill was just too much for myself to pay when in reality I could do it for £350. But In the end lbs (B) did it for £200.

So why would a well known lbs that I have used lots try and quote excessive high repair bills?

Because you told them it was an insurance job, or they just didn't want the work.

Sadly, I suspect that the inflated quote was the result of an insurance company footing the bill. It happens all the time with car repairs, but the insurance companies do not care much about it. The law stipulates that drivers must have insurance and the insurers just pass on the costs to their customers.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Sadly, I suspect that the inflated quote was the result of an insurance company footing the bill. It happens all the time with car repairs, but the insurance companies do not care much about it. The law stipulates that drivers must have insurance and the insurers just pass on the costs to their customers.

I did tell the lbs that I would have to pay for repairs to get bike on road. And maybe get money back from insurance company.

Top Bottom