Bike accident with car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SRanger

I was waiting to turn right onto a road and a car hit me from behind. I believe she was distracted otherwise how can one not notice a cyclist in front? It was the drivers fault driving without due care attention, right?

Edit: I was starting pedalling when she hit me

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Because cars are now mobile living rooms. Flat screen TV Internet and everything.

OP
OP
S

SRanger

I luckily captured the incident on my GoPro. She did stop and was apologetic. She called the police and then we exchanged details. Regardless of that, it doesn't make the situation any better as it was her fault for not paying attention. I have reported the issue to the police. I also reported it to British Cycling for insurance claim but my membership was not valid at the time of the incident so I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything or if I have to renew my membership.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Perhaps on the phone?
Anyways she is liable if she hit you from behind. I assume you're not hurt and only have damage to the bike. Go through her insurance company or she might like to settle it herself to protect her NCB. Go to a good bike shop, get a inspection and an estimate for the work, present it to her and ask how she wants to proceed.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I also reported it to British Cycling for insurance claim but my membership was not valid at the time of the incident so I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything or if I have to renew my membership.

Even if BC won't help, go and see a lawyer, preferably one with experience in this field. It was clearly 100% the driver's fault, and if she was distracted that makes it worse, not an excuse. When driving a car, you need to DRIVE the car; not check your phone for FB updates and all the other crap that drivers now routinely do, seemingly. There is no excuse for running into the back of a cyclist, end of. Take her for all you can - injuries, bike repairs, loss of pay from time off work - keep notes of it ALL!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hopefully you're not seriously injured. I would strongly advise you to get the bike checked out; her insurance can take care of the cost of a check plus any repairs.

She gets some credit for calling the police and giving details. Many would these days just drive off unfortunately.

And yes, if she drives into you from behind then her insurance would almost certainly consider her at fault. The new highway code updates would correlate with this as well.

OP
OP
S

SRanger

IMG_20220605_150530.jpg

This is what happened to my bike, including bent handlebars and wheel most likely damaged.

Top Bottom