Bike accident with car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He/She didn't like or want to follow the advice given so did a flounce.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's happened to SRanger?
Left in anger?

Told us all to go get run over - charming fella. TBH he/she was a right soft aris, only got bumped, no injuries.

Should have my track record for spectacular crashes and injuries. They were given lots of advice, but weren't listening, and thought the police/solicitors should jump to attention. No injuries, and had let their BC membership lapse - what did they expect ? CCTV evidence, why ?

Cost to repair was probably a wheel true or a new wheel. Best option, pay out yourself, contact insurer, then get money back in a jiffy. No injuries, apart form being a soft aris.

But, to tell people to get run over, then good riddance ! They hadn't even been 'run over' themselves, minor bump from behind.

Sharky

Guru
Should have my track record for spectacular crashes and injuries.
Think I belong to the same club. A few minor offs when I was a teen, then nothing for 40+ years, then broken collarbones (2), pelvis and a few more minor offs resulting in grazes and bruises.

I was holding myself back from posting, to tell him to forget the incident and just get some new bars and get riding again. Of course if real injuries materialise or if an expensive repair job needed, make a claim. But I've had worse frame damage by just leaning my bike against a concrete lamp post!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Think I belong to the same club. A few minor offs when I was a teen, then nothing for 40+ years, then broken collarbones (2), pelvis and a few more minor offs resulting in grazes and bruises.

I was holding myself back from posting, to tell him to forget the incident and just get some new bars and get riding again. Of course if real injuries materialise or if an expensive repair job needed, make a claim. But I've had worse frame damage by just leaning my bike against a concrete lamp post!

I've also had more aches and pains just falling off on my MTB - I didn't blame the tree stump !

An insurer will settle fast if there is no injury, and it's just a repair. Add a solicitor to the case, then it's years. He just needs to get the insurance details, which is a call to the driver. If driver didn't want to deal with insurance, then a agreement to pay for a new wheel, and a thorough check over at a bike shop. But the OP didn't listen to any of this, wanted the cops and everyone involved.

Cops aren't interested even if you suffer major injuries - I know, was told 'your insurance will sort it' - fortunately, I wasn't stupid enough to have my BC membership on auto renew. No-one will take his accident on, too low value.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've also had more aches and pains just falling off on my MTB - I didn't blame the tree stump !

An insurer will settle fast if there is no injury, and it's just a repair. Add a solicitor to the case, then it's years. He just needs to get the insurance details, which is a call to the driver. If driver didn't want to deal with insurance, then a agreement to pay for a new wheel, and a thorough check over at a bike shop. But the OP didn't listen to any of this, wanted the cops and everyone involved.

Cops aren't interested even if you suffer major injuries - I know, was told 'your insurance will sort it' - fortunately, I wasn't stupid enough to have my BC membership on auto renew. No-one will take his accident on, too low value.

I think he (definitely not a she) discovered some injuries after asked if he had any (initially said no) (well a bit of muscle strain, hardly uncommon after coming off, as we all know :biggrin:)
I reckon a youngster, clearly not a driver himself

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Over the years on Cycle Chat there have been a few posters who for some reason are looking for an answer that doesn't exist.
There is a mine of good information given, but given all that they are still looking for something else. Then they get the hump and go.
Sad really.

spen666

Legendary Member
People seem to think they are entitled to £000s of compensation after an accident.

They forget the word is compensation

The aim in law is to put the victim of negligence in the position they would have been in if there had not been any negligence
Quite how people think a minor bit of road rash deserves £000s or similar injuries
Again, the property damage compensation is to leave you in the position you were in before the negligence, not to give you a Di" equipped carbon racing machine to replace your 40 year old 5 speed drop handle barred bike you used as a child

T4tomo

Guru
People seem to think they are entitled to £000s of compensation after an accident.

They forget the word is compensation

The aim in law is to put the victim of negligence in the position they would have been in if there had not been any negligence
Quite how people think a minor bit of road rash deserves £000s or similar injuries
Again, the property damage compensation is to leave you in the position you were in before the negligence, not to give you a Di" equipped carbon racing machine to replace your 40 year old 5 speed drop handle barred bike you used as a child

try telling that to Jonny Depp and Amber Turd.

spen666

Legendary Member
try telling that to Jonny Depp and Amber Turd.

Were they involved in a cycling accident claim in the UK?

No? Well what has a different sort of case in a different jurisdiction with different laws got to do with this?

Reactions: C R

T4tomo

Guru
Were they involved in a cycling accident claim in the UK?

No? Well what has a different sort of case in a different jurisdiction with different laws got to do with this?

The feeling of entitlement to compensation, first instinct in US is always someone has got to pay. Our culture isnt as bad, but its drifting that way - see Wagatha Christie.

But then you already knew this. But yes its a relevant comment.

presta

Guru
I've had worse frame damage by just leaning my bike against a concrete lamp post!
:eek: I go a long way out of my way to avoid that. I've kept mine in pretty much mint condition after 21 years by not settling for anything less than 4 points of contact when I park it: wheels, seat (or pannier) & bars.

Sharky

Guru
:eek: I go a long way out of my way to avoid that. I've kept mine in pretty much mint condition after 21 years by not settling for anything less than 4 points of contact when I park it: wheels, seat (or pannier) & bars.

I normally do as well, but on this occasion, I punctured and removed one of the wheels and somehow leant it against the hedge where the concrete post was. Didn't realise till too late.

I've done worse. Leant my bike on the side of the car (estate car) at the start of a race. Used the back of the car to sit on, whilst getting changed. This caused the back of the car to go up/down. And the brake hoods lever down and up against the car causing a minor scratch.

Fortunately no damage to the bike and my car is still going strong after 20 years.

Top Bottom