Accidental discovery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I was given this bike and in the process of making it fit me I discovered i have created something rather wonderful, being tall and thin and always with a leaning to more upright riding position's i struggle to get a good balance of performance comfort and the bike looking right, my theory is that with a bike the right size with the seat back enough to get power for hill climbing i then struggle to get enough weight on the front for solid dependable handling without over stretching ,witch then causes neck ,shoulder problems . So the pleasing accidental discovery was by making a smaller frame fit me with a tall stem and long extension i have found the Dawes to be the best balance of power, performance, hill climbing and fantastic comfort i have ever come across, i bought in 1997 a Raleigh Ranndoneur with a 25inch frame and have been trying ever since to make it ride how I want I have tried every combination of stems and bars never have i got it even close to this even though its 2kg lighter, so if you are very tall and can not get your bike that in theory should be the right size to perform as you want, never stop experimenting.
IMG_20200424_121840.jpg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Each to his (or her) own - that position would cripple me, especially the nose-up saddle... :eek:

PS It always amazes me when I look at that sign boundary stone and am reminded that Yorkshire used to extend as far as the Trough of Bowland!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
The trouble is bikes seem to be built to fit a standard typical person with standard typical ideas of how they want to ride, ive had a stiff neck problem for years were if i set bars to far or to low i will suffer for weeks of pain after. Always stop to admire that old border boundary standing tall and solid on the top of that hill when a lot of them get lost in the grass and undergrowth.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looks like you either have disproportionately long legs or limited upper-body flexibility (I'm guilty on both counts).

End of the day it's all good if it works :smile:

Top Bottom