Accie's fake Rolex.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is this @Accy cyclist ‘s fake Rolex?

atches-Wristwatches-Relogio-Feminino-Reloj-Relojes.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Timex keeps very good time, cost £25 about 18 years ago and the battery lasts ages as long as you don't use the 'Indiglo' (Backlit) feature too often.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Interesting. As I thought, they can now clone watches using 'advanced computer techniques'.

Ok, these clones are nearer £1000 than £170 and I certainly wouldn't pay a grand for a fake watch, but some would.🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My Timex keeps very good time, cost £25 about 18 years ago and the battery lasts ages as long as you don't use the 'Indiglo' (Backlit) feature too often.
I haven't had/owned a Timex watch since secondary school days. I still have doubts about a 'blingy' Rolex copied watch. As stated previously, I have slim 7 inch circumference wrists. I think a chunky 'Rolex' might look like a town hall clock placed on a flagpole.:smile:
At the end of the day I'm just after a dress watch to compliment my attire.🧐 I'm not bothered about it being accurate to one second in a year, or it being able to tell you what time it is in Azerbaijan.:okay:

I think this Timex is quite nice.
1642336403170.png

https://www.timex.co.uk/milano-33mm...yNg6GOQpW32a3anKloQ5fdaR7LppmCCgaAteYEALw_wcB

Nice and plain, with a small face to match my small wrist.

I must admit, if i was say in a pub with a fake Rolex on my wrist and someone noticed it and said something like "Wow, You have a Rolex" I'd feel a bit like June Whitfield in those 1960's/70's Birds Eye pie adverts.:whistle:

Good afternoon,
It amazes me that so many people are so nonplussed about fakes of any sort or is it ok in this instance because the genuine item may as well be made out of unobtainium for many people?
I have a Tudor Black Shield so I am not opposed to watches more expensive than needed by their core functionality and I am not bothered by the fakes, but this is a cheap watch by the luxury watch market standards.:smile:

A certain number of fakes, as long as the person buying them know that they are fakes, are sort of brand advertising, like a Spitting Image puppet or having comedians taking the mickey of out a politician.

I also was also bought up in the 1970s where it was the norm for people to record other peoples albums onto cassettes, this practice carried on with VHS tapes and then computer software, in these cases authors actually lost money.

Clearly once the number of fakes gets too high then the brand image genuinely does suffer, but at the moment most fakes are either obvious fakes or are worn in a context where they are obviously fake. However I used to drink in a pub where there was a group who bought genuine and a group who bought fakes and some of the fakes I couldn't tell from the real, once a fake is sold with a fair mark up and a price of say £1k then they can be pretty close to the basic real things.

But you could have a collective description of the groups buying real and the groups buying fakes, it wasn't as simple as left and right but there was a strong element of that.

I suspect that a basic Rolex day/date could sensibly be sold in Argos at around £2k, the rest of the price goes into marketing, golf and F1, and large mark-ups for dealers in expensive high street locations. I was disappointed to find Tudor sponsor David Beckham and Lady Ga-Ga. It embarrassed me to be wearing a product with such advertising, it stopped me buying another!

None of this alters the fact that Rolex make 800,000 plus watches a year.

In term of quality the Tudor has a Valjoux 7753 movement modified by Tudor whatever that means and this is such a common design which is out of patent that it can and is produced to non chronometer standards pretty cheaply in China.

I am also a fan of Seiko's Grand Seiko brand, a company who offers a basic mechanical watch for around £100 and a Grand Seiko for £5k-£10k

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

The Tudor Black Bay range are moving to in-house movements, though that is not without its issues. The Black Bay GMT jumping date issue for instance. It is only there lower cost watches that still use movements from other manufacturers, however they are still passed through Tudor and verified to COSC standards.

A great many of the big brands use third party movements and some big brands share movements with others.

Fakes are illegal to sell in the UK. Full stop, no debate. You only have to look at eBay, for example, to see unscrupulous sellers trying to pass of fakes as genuine items. The intent is there to deceive and fakes are abused for this purpose frequently.
Just to be clear the Black Shield is different from the Black Bay,

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/any-watch-geeks-here.251526/#post-5686724

it was obsoleted a couple of years ago.:smile:

Bye

Ian

The Tudor Black Bay range are moving to in-house movements, though that is not without its issues. The Black Bay GMT jumping date issue for instance. It is only there lower cost watches that still use movements from other manufacturers, however they are still passed through Tudor and verified to COSC standards.

A great many of the big brands use third party movements and some big brands share movements with others.

The Chinese brand, Seagull, manufactures clones of ETA movements that have come out of copy. These are widely regarded as inferior movements in many ways.

Fakes are illegal to sell in the UK. Full stop, no debate. You only have to look at eBay, for example, to see unscrupulous sellers trying to pass of fakes as genuine items. The intent is there to deceive and fakes are abused for this purpose frequently.
About 2 decades ago I was on Penang Island in Malaysia and there was nightly bazaar along the beach strIp. There was stall selling copy watches. It looked good and had similar weight. They were going for less than a tenner. The guy selling kept shouting “Japanese engine”. I asked him why and he told me copy watches with Japanese mechanism outlasted copied western mechanism. I just thought it was harder to follow the precision mechanics of the Swiss. He even opened the back to show me. I obviously had no clue how to tell one from the other.

Anyway I bought one. A “genuine” copy of a Tag Heuer. A model I had not seen before or since. Back in the office I never heard the end of it. Everyone was pissed with me for not getting one for them. There was no thank you for the keychains I bought for them. They were prepared to pay for the copy watches.. It lasted nearly a decade.

There was no desire to emulate a person who purchased the real stuff but I took it as similar to buying a souvenir. Just good fun on a tenner.

Years later I saw Nigerians selling copy watches in NY but the quality was so bad.

Top Bottom