Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
Contracts work out cheaper if you are using your phone a lot . If you need to be careful and have the time to be topping up then its probably not worth it . Funny , i never get phone calls from friends on PAYG Those on contracts can call and talk rubbish for hours ^_^
Have you not heard of automatic top ups and recurring goody bags?
Take a look at GiffGaff and I dare say others are available.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S7 5/12 years ago. A very extravagant purchase for me but it's still going strong, with minimal loss in battery life. I pay £13/month for a SIM only deal. I've not seen many deals that can better that so I stick with it (600mins, 12GB data). Apart from a bad case of the "I wants", I don't know why people upgrade to a new handset every couple of years and continue paying £40+ a month. I've seen a friend's Galaxy S20 and it doesn't do anything more than my S7 does, apart from it looks bigger and shinier. But if they earn the money that's up to them.

Funny story - years ago my dad got his first mobile phone contract which included a phone. After 2 years the contract was up so he phoned them to ask what address he should use to post their phone back to them :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Contracts work out cheaper if you are using your phone a lot . If you need to be careful and have the time to be topping up then its probably not worth it . Funny , i never get phone calls from friends on PAYG Those on contracts can call and talk rubbish for hours ^_^

My £20/month EE SIM only gives me unlimited calls and texts and 25GB data which is more than enough (I use about 5 in a typical month I think, probably less now I'm at home more). I also get BT sport on my phone for free :okay:

I paid £729 for my phone (2 yr warranty from John Lewis), £20 a month for the SIM.

The same phone with EE with unlimited data (mine may as well be) is £60+ a month over 24 months = £1440 (think might even have to pay £50 for phone, so that's £1500)

20 * 24 = £480 + £729 for phone = £1209 - so around £300 less and I'm not tied in to any provider being well out of any sort of contract for the SIM (and maybe I even get an extra year warranty on the phone).

The only thing, I had to pay for the phone upfront obviously, but that wasn't an issue

potsy

Rambler
I bought a £400 phone earlier this year, it was the flagship model from this manufacturer a couple of years previous.

£8 per month sim with unlimited calls/texts and 8gb of data.

Monthly direct debit I hardly even notice.

Will keep until I either lose/break or get bored and fancy a change ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Getting slightly off topic now, but I am a terrible customer for many of these service industries. I pay lump sum instead of inflated monthly instalments for insurance etc. Don't have paid for 'benefits packages' from the banks or utility providers etc. Don't run my finances at a deficit so I am not in a position of paying interest to get the things I want (what ever happened to waiting until you could afford something?) and I buy/own my phones and just buy the airtime.

Means I don't have to earn as much to maintain a lifestyle that many are resorting to credit to achieve, and then killing themselves with work and stress trying to keep the plates spinning :wacko:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My £20/month EE SIM only gives me unlimited calls and texts and 25GB data which is more than enough (I use about 5 in a typical month I think, probably less now I'm at home more). I also get BT sport on my phone for free :okay:

I paid £729 for my phone (2 yr warranty from John Lewis), £20 a month for the SIM.

The same phone with EE with unlimited data (mine may as well be) is £60+ a month over 24 months = £1440 (think might even have to pay £50 for phone, so that's £1500)

20 * 24 = £480 + £729 for phone = £1209 - so around £300 less and I'm not tied in to any provider being well out of any sort of contract for the SIM (and maybe I even get an extra year warranty on the phone).

The only thing, I had to pay for the phone upfront obviously, but that wasn't an issue
I'm paying around £250 less than you on a contract . Thats a nice little chunk of money in my pocket :okay:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Yeah but what phone? :unsure:
My one .

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I am with Giffgaff. £8 a month and it goes out as a standing order. Giffgaff are on the o2 network.
most providers now do a monthly SIM only deal on a standing order top up.
It's so confusing to me.:wacko: I tolerate 'technology' but i think i was born too early to 'embrace' it! :rolleyes:

As long as my phone is in a nice case and the screen's not scratched i'm happy! :smile:When i was Accy Junior's age all i had was a landline phone at my mum and dad's and a pocket full of 2 pence coins in case i needed to use a red phone box!:okay:

Last edited:
Pp
I paid outright for my phone because it was cheaper than getting it on a contract. You know the contract includes the price of the phone, right? Keep the old phone, swap to SIM-free and it's much cheaper. Phone up and ask them to sweeten the deal and it's even better. I've been with Orange/EE for twenty odd years and they do seem to acknowledge loyalty. (Plus as an NHS worker I've got unlimited data now thanks to Coronavirus.)
said!
I paid outright for my phone because it was cheaper than getting it on a contract. You know the contract includes the price of the phone, right? Keep the old phone, swap to SIM-free and it's much cheaper. Phone up and ask them to sweeten the deal and it's even better. I've been with Orange/EE for twenty odd years and they do seem to acknowledge loyalty. (Plus as an NHS worker I've got unlimited data now thanks to Coronavirus.)

Agree100 %!!
Mike

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the subject of expensive phones i suppose they have unlimited data...or whatever it's called. My phone/contract gives me very limited data. So limited that when i got the thing i was out one day listening to music videos on the internet when i was told that i'd used up all my data for the month after about half an hour and that was in the first day of owning it. My question is how much would i have to pay monthly for unlimited data?🤔

Top Bottom