Accy junior pick pocketed,losing new 800 quid phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
She's quite i wouldn't say up to the hilt in debt,but she has to pay her bank loan and other things back. I know she's a partner,but she isn't coining it in as they say,more making a decent living. She has debt,i don't have any and i have money sat in a bank,not making interest due to how it is now. Yeah,i know i should save it for a rainy day,but i'll still have enough after forking out for a phone. All this talk of 'she should learn from her mistakes' etc is fair comment,but the estate agency has told her 'sorry,but it's your fault,so you'll have to buy your own replacement'. So unless i chip in she'll have to go without.

A decent living, so let her sort it out and act like an adult. She’s not a child anymore.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Why did you feel the need to buy such an expensive phone if you don't mind me asking? Do you need it for work?
Nope. Retired and enjoy my Apple stuff, but I do think it’s a bit overpriced hence wanting it to do me for a while. No pockets in shrouds! :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
She's quite i wouldn't say up to the hilt in debt,but she has to pay her bank loan and other things back. I know she's a partner,but she isn't coining it in as they say,more making a decent living. She has debt,i don't have any and i have money sat in a bank,not making interest due to how it is now. Yeah,i know i should save it for a rainy day,but i'll still have enough after forking out for a phone. All this talk of 'she should learn from her mistakes' etc is fair comment,but the estate agency has told her 'sorry,but it's your fault,so you'll have to buy your own replacement'. So unless i chip in she'll have to go without.

She is the one running up the debts. It’s her choices she’s making. She’ll have to sort it out. If you bail her out she’ll become a debt junkie if she’s not already.

classic33

Leg End Member
Buying it on contract for her, whose name would the contract be in?
I'd be very careful on that point alone, if that's the best price the service provider can offer for a replacement it's one hell of a markup.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Because iphone12 will be out by then followed by 13 not long after. It is a mugs game and people fall for it all the time.
I’m still using a five year old iPhone SE which works perfectly well, and still supports the latest version of iOS and apps. The only thing letting it down is battery life and I could get it replaced if I really wanted to prolong its life further.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I still can't understand why someone would want to pay £700 on a bloody phone that will be obsolete in 2 years time, :eek:
Whilst i understand your sentiment and it is shared by quite a few people that is only the perception the big mobile phone manufacturers want you to believe.

For example, i forked out on an expensive contract back in 2013 for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. It stopped receiving major updates in 2015 if i remember and stopped getting security updates a few years ago now. I did what they call "rooting" the phone and that is in essence a wiping of the phones factory installed software or "rom" in order to install a new rom with a more modern (often the latest) Android version, so is more secure.

Now, i understand this is beyond the scope of most phone users. But, the specs of the "flagship" devices of 7 odd years ago, stand up to those "mid range" phones sold today and often are faster. Its worth pointing out here that cheaper mid and low range phones of those years would not receive anywhere near the third party development that the flagships have and continue to.

So really, i would argue that as a plus for spending so much if you believe you would get the longevity but even ignoring that, i believe phone companies should be forced to support their products with at least vital security updates for 5 years to lessen waste and environment impacts. Yes, they'll always be those who want the latest and greatest. There's plenty who'd be happy to continue using their phones for many years.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I still can't understand why someone would want to pay £700 on a bloody phone that will be obsolete in 2 years time, :eek:

It won't be obsolete in 2 years time though. Manufacturers release new models every year touting improvements to form and function. The LG TV I purchased a couple of years ago is functioning perfectly as is my Garmin watch.
I consider my phone to be a Pocket Computer that has the ability to make phone calls. It has worldwide maps installed that I can navigate by even when out of reach of a mobile network ( GPS doesn't rely on the phone network)
It's got a decent camera, not as versatile as my Nikon full frame SLR but it's replaced my Canon point and shoot.
I'm learning German and there's a comprehensive German English dictionary installed which also pronounces the words for me if required. It gives me access to a global encyclopedia, has several audio books and most of the music I've acquired over several decades.
It's an iPhone 6s, it's just had its 5th birthday. I replaced the battery earlier this year, cost me £20 and it's better than the original due to improvements in battery chemistry in the intervening years. It's running the very latest software from Apple, it may not receive next year's update but it will still function perfectly well.

kynikos

Veteran
It won't be obsolete in 2 years time though.

It may not be obsolete but it will not be fit for purpose. Accy's daughter must have the latest iteration or she will be shunned in her industry and no self-respecting potential client will have anything to do with her - at least that's the impression she appears to be trying to sell to dad.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just a point that nobody seems to have made yet. If the 'stolen' phone was bought on contract then she is bound to continuing the monthly payments until the term ends. Could be a lot of money for a phone she no longer has!
Just needs to get a sim free one and a new sim, no new contract required. Presumably she’s discussed options with her supplier?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nope. Retired and enjoy my Apple stuff, but I do think it’s a bit overpriced hence wanting it to do me for a while. No pockets in shrouds! :laugh:

I have an iPhone 6. Second hand for £175.00 18 months or so ago, after my iPhone 5 that I had had for years died on me.
I like it, feel no desire to upgrade at all. If it dies I will probably get another, a 7 or 8. No desire for expensive poshy-nobby one. They all do the same job. I spoke to an estate agent yesterday. He had the same phone as I have. I didn’t feel the need to question his professionalism due to his phone.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've paid for the phone. I quizzed her why she needed such an expensive one . Her answers were reasonable enough for me. She's also saving up for a house with her boyfriend (works at British Aerospace as an engineer) who seems a sensible lad. I've added a little contract to the me buying her a phone. It'll benefit me so i'm quite happier than i was this time last week.:okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just a point that nobody seems to have made yet. If the 'stolen' phone was bought on contract then she is bound to continuing the monthly payments until the term ends. Could be a lot of money for a phone she no longer has!
But she now has the phone (well,she will have on Tuesday)! Ok,not the original,but the same in replacement.:okay:

The thieving rat who stole it now as a useless phone that was once worth 800 quid,by the way. So good at pick pocketing but not that clued up about the things they nick it seems!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom