Acknowledging fellow cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

Motorcyclists have the 'nod' when passing other motorcyclists in the opposite direction.

When out riding, I often pass fellow road cyclists who are either off to work or just out for a ride. When I pass them I tend to flick my hand out as a way of saying 'hi' but, have never seen anything back. Is there some sort of acknowledgement for fellow cyclists?

Milzy

Guru
Motorcyclists have the 'nod' when passing other motorcyclists in the opposite direction.

When out riding, I often pass fellow road cyclists who are either off to work or just out for a ride. When I pass them I tend to flick my hand out as a way of saying 'hi' but, have never seen anything back. Is there some sort of acknowledgement for fellow cyclists?
Many cyclists are miserable knobbers so won't acknowledge. Some do and some don't. It's always been like that and it always will be like that & that's the way it is.

I was out on a big ride on Friday, and particularly going up/down Leith Hill gave many nods and received many back.

Also got a (genuinely encouraging) word of encouragement up a bastard of a hill at 10%.

Maybe people are more inclined to do it on a big effort?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With pleasure. Cycle Chat Bingo in full effect.

Sharky

Guru
Will swap a wave with most roadies and some MTB'ers, but I like seeing the surprised look when I call out to families (newbies) on bikes.
But the one that surprised me the most was when I was out on my tandem trike and one of those massive motor bike trikes approached me, driven by a "Hells Angel" type in leathers etc. He was the first to wave to us and I waved back.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Maybe their parents just died and all they wanted to do was have a peaceful ride?
Well, the parents bit is surperfluous but yep.

Some do some don`t. I could say the same about car drivers if you give way ( whether on two wheels or four), some will thank you, some will not. Same goes with walkers even after leaving them more that 2 metres. I always try to be polite to people but if that is the way they are then so be it. I just get on and enjoy the ride, life is far too short to worry.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Will swap a wave with most roadies and some MTB'ers, but I like seeing the surprised look when I call out to families (newbies) on bikes.
But the one that surprised me the most was when I was out on my tandem trike and one of those massive motor bike trikes approached me, driven by a "Hells Angel" type in leathers etc. He was the first to wave to us and I waved back.
Most of those bikers are old and mellow nowadays so unlikely to clout you with a spanner for daring to look at them or their pint.

When I used to drive a proper square Land Rover the acceptable greeting was a laconic raise of one finger off the steering wheel. Just enough to acknowledge a fellow connoisseur - or idiot depending on your view of owning a rusting money-pit and fuel guzzler.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When I used to drive a proper square Land Rover the acceptable greeting was a laconic raise of one finger off the steering wheel. Just enough to acknowledge a fellow connoisseur - or idiot depending on your view of owning a rusting money-pit and fuel guzzler.
The Landy wave is still a 'thing' that is practiced by many owners. I blank nearly all of them and only acknowledge a select few in nice, original, unmolested examples. Anyone in one of the dire facsimile 'off-road' modified vehicles or one of the pimped glossy, alloy wheeled, metallic painted, chequerplate adorned editions popular in the last decade or two, get short shrift from me!
As for acknowledging cyclists, sometimes yes, but only if it is stupid-o-clock in the morning and it is sub zero temperatures, or they have just arrived at the top of the biggest hill climb in the country on the hottest day since records began!
Basically you get a wave/acknowledgement/kudos if you deserve it, not just for being there....

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The other day I was out on a longish ride, lockdown cyclists were out in full flow on a nice sunny day, everY feckin one of them thought they were now in some exclusive cycling brethren and wanted to wave acknowledgement. It’s feckin exhausting. I just wanted shout feck off back to ya feckin PlayStation. In the end I just looked in the other direction. I don’t want be distracted when I’m on my bike, leave me the feck alone.

Top Bottom