Acknowledging fellow cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
One less worry now I'm riding only on the turbo.
I’d rather a wave than terminal boredom :ph34r:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Many years ago I was riding along the towpath on the Burnley Embankment, said to be one of the seven wonders of the canal world. In front was a young man standing in an odd posture with his back to me, hips thrust forwards and ahead of him a woman walking who suddenly looked down and did a smart about-turn heading off fast in the other direction. It wasn't until I had rolled silently past him that I realised he must have been, er, waving something at her and that if i had realised sooner a good hard shove would have put him in the canal.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Interesting. I was just curious, as I should have said that when I go out, its the same ones that I see at 06:30 in the morning rather than any random person cruising along on a sunny afternoon.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
We are awarding points to fellow cyclists 🚴‍♀️ during our lockdown outings. Scale goes from -5 to +5 depending on whether they initiate the greeting, how much effort they put into the exchange, and various other subjective opinions. A wave of hand gets more points than a slight head nod for instance... points for smiling, points for saying something nice.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'll say hello to all and sundry whether I'm on my bike or walking- though some people do look genuinely surprised. The further you are from civilisation the more likely people are to reply.

it's probably a Northern thing + there's not as many people about, and we dare to look people in the eye up here!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
While riding my trike everybody waves at me even car drivers and pedestrians :hello:

johnnyb47

Guru
I speak or wave to most cyclists as i go past. The regulars you see everyday always shout hello back as we tend to all know each other from either Strava or cycling clubs. I've noticed there's a lot of newbie cyclists out there at the moment enjoying the freedom from lock down exercise .. They tend to be less social in acknowledging back. The ones i don't say hello to are the teenagers who hang around the shops on their MTBs. They just seem to want to only annoy people around them by being antisocia (we've all been there)
It doesn't bother me though if people ignore or say hello back though. Who knows what day there having with the worries going around at the moment

dodgy

I tip my head to the side as if to gesture I'm winking (yes - winking), sometimes I'll lift my hand off the bars a bit.

But honestly, I've got a million other things in my head to process and waving hello to everyone isn't high on my priority list.

pawl

Legendary Member
The other day I was out on a longish ride, lockdown cyclists were out in full flow on a nice sunny day, everY feckin one of them thought they were now in some exclusive cycling brethren and wanted to wave acknowledgement. It’s feckin exhausting. I just wanted shout feck off back to ya feckin PlayStation. In the end I just looked in the other direction. I don’t want be distracted when I’m on my bike, leave me the feck alone.

My problem was when out hill walking Walking from Borrowdale to climb Sca Fell I had said hi to so many people in groups I had just about lost my voice by the time I had reached the summit.Did consider hiding till they had passed or making a recording of me saying hi and playing it on a loop

Last edited:

dodgy

The other day I was out on a longish ride, lockdown cyclists were out in full flow on a nice sunny day, everY feckin one of them thought they were now in some exclusive cycling brethren and wanted to wave acknowledgement. It’s feckin exhausting. I just wanted shout feck off back to ya feckin PlayStation. In the end I just looked in the other direction. I don’t want be distracted when I’m on my bike, leave me the feck alone.

I try to be positive and upbeat most of the time, but even I completely agree with this post.
When I was a young lad based on an RAF base with a lot of officers, my hand would be up to my head about 300 times a bloody day. Reminds me of that!

Nice to be out today, seems the born again / new cyclists don't like temperatures of <10C

Top Bottom