Acknowledging fellow cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kj92

Speaking of which, I got a nice grin and wave from a stranger going the opposite way on a bike today! 👏👏 it's lovely, especially when you're running on steam!

dodgy

If a cyclist coming the opposite way is looking straight ahead you can bet your life if you shouted hello you wouldn’t get a response

Even though I have already stated that sometimes I want solitude on my rides, I think we all know the type you're talking about. Think they're in a Rapha promo video, sucked in cheeks, steely eyed glare into the middle distance, 'too pro for hello' etc. Also these are the type that will pass you on a climb and not acknowledge, because to do so diminishes their god-like status.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Oooh hoo what a misery-guts!
I thought I was quite an accomplished curmudgeon myself, but even I think that new cyclists need all the encouragement you can give them. Who knows, some of them might stick with it, and for those that don't, they might retain a more positive view of cyclists once they go back to their old routine. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

pawl

Legendary Member
Even though I have already stated that sometimes I want solitude on my rides, I think we all know the type you're talking about. Think they're in a Rapha promo video, sucked in cheeks, steely eyed glare into the middle distance, 'too pro for hello' etc. Also these are the type that will pass you on a climb and not acknowledge, because to do so diminishes their god-like status.

To be fair I cyclist sporting a Manchester Wheeler’s top passed me Got a good response as flew past me..Made me wonder if that club still exists I believe Ian Camish was the leading light of that club back in the day when it was called Manchester Wheelers Truman Steel.

Don’t know if the guys Garmin had taken him a long way off course.

nickg

Über Member
I will most times acknowledge other cyclists or even walkers while out on the bikes, be it road or mtb. Most aknowledge you back but some dont. Only times I dont is if I think I'm gonna fall off, so then a shout of morning,afternoon or evening.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I take both hands off the bars and wave enthusiastically whilst screaming hello like a deranged madman. Not many people wave back mind...

The VW van scene is a funny one, they wave too. I get it with old split screens, but the modern ones do it to I don't). If I spot another Capri whilst out in mine though, that always gets a wave:smile:

Milzy

Guru
On a Wahoo device you can see the names of all other wahooligans. We sometimes forget this as it only appears on the navigation screen. So you say Hey up Phil, and they're trying to work out who you are. 😁

kj92

On a Wahoo device you can see the names of all other wahooligans. We sometimes forget this as it only appears on the navigation screen. So you say Hey up Phil, and they're trying to work out who you are. 😁

Whaaaat I didn't know this. This is so cool!! (Spoke about Garmin vs Wahoo on another thread)

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm that PITA who says a cheery hello to everyone, walker, horse rider or cyclist.
Weird and annoying I know.

I think I can predict the likely response now. In town it's the "who you?" stare. Out of town roadies acknowledge if I'm on my drop bar bike, but not if I'm on a flat bar bike.

Riders on shiny new Muddy Fox bikes, or similar, look a bit bemused, but reply.

At least once every 20 miles I end up in a random conversation with someone I will never see again.

Maybe it's a hidden extravert trying to get out of this deep introvert.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I will most times acknowledge other cyclists or even walkers while out on the bikes, be it road or mtb. Most aknowledge you back but some dont. Only times I dont is if I think I'm gonna fall off, so then a shout of morning,afternoon or evening.
Out last Saturday, very quiet after Friday's VE Day celebrations, less cars anyway. Was passed by a sporty rider, came to a dip where the road drops across a narrow bridge, turns sharp right and climbs back up again, There were traffic lights at the bridge on red and the rider who had just passed me was practically doing a trackstand as he waited to trigger the green. As I came down the hill it went to green and I stormed past and got most of the way up the other side at a much better speed than usual. I was quite grateful to the other rider for triggering the lights. If there was no traffic coming the other way the lights would normally stay red until you were practically on top of them, making you climb up the other side from a standing start.

With my saddlebag, reflective bike clips, dangling toe straps and floppy sun hat to to keep the sun off my ears I probably looked an unlikely candidate to be passing anyone. Still, there is a nice set of Randonneur bars there. Sure enough, he caught me soon afterwards, with a grin and a raised hand, said "hi" and steadily pulled away into the distance. There were many cyclists out that afternoon, and sporty or casual, virtually all responded, or said "hi" or waved first. That was an all round feel good ride of about 30 miles.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The Landy wave is still a 'thing' that is practiced by many owners. I blank nearly all of them and only acknowledge a select few in nice, original, unmolested examples. Anyone in one of the dire facsimile 'off-road' modified vehicles or one of the pimped glossy, alloy wheeled, metallic painted, chequerplate adorned editions popular in the last decade or two, get short shrift from me!
As for acknowledging cyclists, sometimes yes, but only if it is stupid-o-clock in the morning and it is sub zero temperatures, or they have just arrived at the top of the biggest hill climb in the country on the hottest day since records began!
Basically you get a wave/acknowledgement/kudos if you deserve it, not just for being there....

Blimey, who stole your last Rolo Skolly? :laugh:

Top Bottom