Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why would you want an odd number of brake blocks?!

It is a box of left side brake blocks.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sausages don't grow on trees.

African sausage tree

mckee-may-sausage-tree1-2048x1365.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You really didn’t know?

Nope. I used to live just the other side of the Black Mountains and I always assumed Hay was in Herefordshire. Not that I ever gave the matter much thought.

I was talking about this at the weekend to someone who has friends in Hay and it seems that some of Hay is in England. During Covid it was very confusing as to which set of regulations applied.

Did you know that Warwick University isn't in Warwick? It is actually on the outskirts of Coventry, on the way to Kenilworth, which IS in Warwickshire.

I do - but only after booking tickets to see John Shuttleworth there!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The climb up-to Somerset Monument (which is in Gloucestershire*) is called:
Cold Change Hill

Sounds much more intimidating now!

(*maybe. Best to check)

And Somerset was a general at the Battle of Waterloo…

Seevio

Guru
The climb up-to Somerset Monument (which is in Gloucestershire*) is called:
Cold Change Hill

Sounds much more intimidating now!

(*maybe. Best to check)

It used to be in Gloucestershire. Then it was in the abomination that was Avon. Currently in South Gloucestershire, a "county" that doesn't exist in many online delivery addresses.

bobzmyunkle

The border runs upstream along the Wye until it hits the Dulais Brook, when it turns and runs along that. That is just downstream from Hay-on-Wye
Yes I realise that now. Anyhow, I was underwhelmed by the place, the Welsh can have it.*

*No offense meant to the Welsh.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
(Assuming that my laptop is reporting battery status correctly...)

Apparently, laptop batteries can lose nearly 50% of their capacity overnight! I had been monitoring the state of mine and was very pleased that it still had a capacity of 44.5 Wh (design capacity 46 Wh) after 7.5 years of use. That was probably testament to my careful charging policy of keeping it charged to between 20% and 60%, only fully charging when I would be away from mains power for extended periods.

Well, last night it suddenly reported a critical error, saying that the battery was faulty and now only had a capacity of 25 Wh!

Obviously, that is probably true but I can't help wondering whether there might be something buried deep in the system software to get long-term users to scrap their old batteries and buy new ones, or upgrade their old laptops... Cynical - moi?! :whistle:

I very rarely run the laptop on battery power so I will probably try to continue using it with the old battery for a while. As long as enough charge is stored to let the laptop 'sleep' for a few days after use then that would do me. I like being able to just open the lid and carry on - I don't want to have to hibernate or power-down the device every time after using it.

albion

Guru
Some people just remove the battery whilst leaving it plugged in. Others let you cap the charge at 80% or have a powered mode that keeps the battery at 50%.

Top Bottom