Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some people just remove the battery whilst leaving it plugged in. Others let you cap the charge at 80% or have a powered mode that keeps the battery at 50%.
It does seem to be still doing the capping, though on this Lenovo it is at 60%. Now it is doing it at 60% of the 25Wh though, rather than 60% of 46 Wh!

As long as it doesn't give up altogether I will be okay.

I definitely don't want to leave the power supply connected when I am not around though - I have seen too many scary videos of lithium battery fires!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
(Assuming that my laptop is reporting battery status correctly...)

Apparently, laptop batteries can lose nearly 50% of their capacity overnight! I had been monitoring the state of mine and was very pleased that it still had a capacity of 44.5 Wh (design capacity 46 Wh) after 7.5 years of use. That was probably testament to my careful charging policy of keeping it charged to between 20% and 60%, only fully charging when I would be away from mains power for extended periods.

Well, last night it suddenly reported a critical error, saying that the battery was faulty and now only had a capacity of 25 Wh!

Obviously, that is probably true but I can't help wondering whether there might be something buried deep in the system software to get long-term users to scrap their old batteries and buy new ones, or upgrade their old laptops... Cynical - moi?! :whistle:

I very rarely run the laptop on battery power so I will probably try to continue using it with the old battery for a while. As long as enough charge is stored to let the laptop 'sleep' for a few days after use then that would do me. I like being able to just open the lid and carry on - I don't want to have to hibernate or power-down the device every time after using it.
Not quite the same, but Apple had batterygate....

Your battery probably has a dead cell or cells. A replacement battery might be worth a try, but i'd avoid the cheap 'no name' ones.

ColinJ

Your battery probably has a dead cell or cells. A replacement battery might be worth a try, but i'd avoid the cheap 'no name' ones.
Yes, I was just looking...

Ones that probably come direct from China, though the websites look like they are British. (It doesn't take 14 days to ship a battery in the UK!) Prices £25-40.

UK site prices can be double that but maybe more chance of getting what you think you are getting!

I would avoid batteries from unknown companies

a lot of them have very good fake stickers on them and what is inside could be anything
try to get genuine ones or ones from a well know company

I have seen a lot of things about fires from lithium batteries
but i have been working with laptops and their batteries for many years - including in schools who have dozens of them and they are often left plugged in all night - and even all weekend
and even right through school holidays unless the school has a dedicated IT Technician who is willing to go round and switch them all off!!

and yet I have never yet seen one catch fire!
and the batteries still last a reasonable amount of time in spite of being abused according to the normal wisdom!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Eddy Merckx has a station named after him on the Brussels metro. Just next to one named after the renaissance scholar Erasmus.

IMG_20240406_124819574~3.jpg

ColinJ

(Assuming that my laptop is reporting battery status correctly...)

Apparently, laptop batteries can lose nearly 50% of their capacity overnight! I had been monitoring the state of mine and was very pleased that it still had a capacity of 44.5 Wh (design capacity 46 Wh) after 7.5 years of use. That was probably testament to my careful charging policy of keeping it charged to between 20% and 60%, only fully charging when I would be away from mains power for extended periods.

Well, last night it suddenly reported a critical error, saying that the battery was faulty and now only had a capacity of 25 Wh!

Obviously, that is probably true but I can't help wondering whether there might be something buried deep in the system software to get long-term users to scrap their old batteries and buy new ones, or upgrade their old laptops... Cynical - moi?! :whistle:

I very rarely run the laptop on battery power so I will probably try to continue using it with the old battery for a while. As long as enough charge is stored to let the laptop 'sleep' for a few days after use then that would do me. I like being able to just open the lid and carry on - I don't want to have to hibernate or power-down the device every time after using it.
Hmm...

I disabled battery conservation mode and charged the battery to its new max and discharged it again a couple of times and it is now reporting a capacity of 41.4 Wh! :wacko:

I am not sure if the battery actually IS faulty or whether the battery monitoring itself is playing up.

I'll charge and discharge the battery another few times and see what happens.

I might remove the bottom panel of the laptop and check the battery for any signs of swelling.

albion

Guru
Quora.com has a very high Indian usage, near matching that of the USA.
A bit if a chicken and egg syndrome.

The answers all tend towards gibberish, at least for the English version. I can barely recall a time I clicked and actualky found it of any use.

Top Bottom