Adult (Complete) Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not me... My wife never learn to cycle as a child - we've been together for over 10 years now and have simply done other leisure activities together, including hiking.

I commute by bike so feel I don't miss out too much and do occasional leisure rides without her.

However, we've just had a baby boy and, thinking ahead (some way ahead, as he can't sit on the floor without falling off yet!), it would be nice to go out cycling as a family - she's even coming round to the idea herself, but...

How does an adult go about learning without a) feeling like a complete fool as 6 year olds zip around the local area on BMXes and ;) without falling off too much? Suspect I should have avoided regaling tales of picking molten lycra out of wounds...

Thanks,

Alex

upandover

Guru
I gather many adults learn to ride by learning to scoot first, with no peddles on the bike, pushing along with their feet. We taught our youngest daughter that way too, and it worked very well.

Steve

Cubist

Still wavin'
As above, try a bike with a nice low saddle and no pedals in a safe place like a carpark where she can get used to balancing as she rolls slowly at first.

Try searching your local authority website for bikeability trainers. If they have a comprehensive green travel plan they ought to offer adult cycle training either free or subsidised. They often have adult training bikes (ie nice low saddled ones with no pedals to train folk to scoot in carparks etc etc)

Slim

Über Member
+1 on the above.

It worked when I taught my wife a few years ago. She'd never ridden a bike and didn't want to be left behind when we took our two boys to the park. Just make sure the saddle is good and low to start with.

My wife started off basically walking while sitting on the bike. Gradually her "stride" got longer and longer until she could glide along. At that point I raised the saddle a little and put the pedals back on.

HTH

lazyfatgit

There was a presenter on one of the local BBC news programmes learnt as part of a week long news item. You may be able to find a link to the videos they posted. might be of help.

This thread might help (there's a lot of discussion on the bike to get, but it also does briefly cover absolute beginners of the wifely persuasion)? Good luck!

If it makes her feel any better I was an *almost* complete beginner about 4 months back. I did learn to ride when young but was never allowed to go far (end of street and back type of thing - & gears floored me the first time I used them (4 months back!) - I had completely the wrong idea!).

Mike A

My wife has started to show an interest as I've started cycling. She can stay upright, but is some way from being confident enough to ride on a public road.
We found a good way to go: we put her bike in the car (front wheel off), she drives to a local farm estate with tarmac roads that we can use - while I cycle there. We then ride together on a slow training ride. When we've finished, her bike goes back in the car - she drives home, I cycle home. This means we both get a ride and she can learn in a quiet and safe location

OP
OP
amasidlover
Some excellent tips - thank you all. Particularly like the BBC video (watched the first but should get back to work now).

All I need to do now is find somewhere in Trafford/West Manchester that is on a gentle slope and reasonably quiet.

Will report back with results...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Another vote for scooting. I taught a middle aged man that way - he went from not being able to ride, to riding quite confidently, in less than an hour. I just told him what to do, folded up the pedals on a folding bike, and let him practice alone, and he just mastered it at his own pace - no embarrassment of being watched...

If you can find a large empty car park, or maybe an industrial estate/business park at the weekend, that will do well.

Once the basic balance is mastered, then road training will pay dividends.. She can start that to some extent now by starting to think like a cyclist when out and about as a driver or pedestrian - looking out for good and bad behaviour, potential conflict, how to avoid trouble.

And congrats on the baby boy. In about two years time, you'll be wanting a scooterbike for him....;)

Mike A, that's a good idea!

OP
OP
amasidlover
Arch said:
Once the basic balance is mastered, then road training will pay dividends.. She can start that to some extent now by starting to think like a cyclist when out and about as a driver or pedestrian - looking out for good and bad behaviour, potential conflict, how to avoid trouble.

We'll go one step at a time... but there are bikeability courses round here and I can dig out my copy of cyclecraft.

And congrats on the baby boy. In about two years time, you'll be wanting a scooterbike for him....;)

Thank you! Quite fancy one of these - do you reckon they make Marathon Pluses in 6" diameter :smile:

OP
OP
amasidlover
andyfromotley said:
Have you considered getting a new wife?

Congratulations! It took til post twelve... My wife was expecting that to happen as the first response...

She's peering over my shoulder so no comment. :evil:

Top Bottom