Adult Tricycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jdavis1784

Regular
They are different makes, that's all. Sachs were originally German and SA originally British and for much of the 20th century they churned out hub gears. Sachs tended to make more stuff for continental style utility bikes with things like coaster brakes (where you back pedal to apply the brake). Sachs are now owned by SRAM and the SA name is still trading but I don't know who owns them or where they are made.

A picture would be interesting.
Heres a few pictures of the Sturmey Archer in all of its glory. I was so surprised when I wiped it off it looks like the day it was new!
20200924_122417.jpg
20200928_121306.jpg

Attachments

• 20200924_122456.jpg
    20200924_122456.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 6

raleighnut

Legendary Member
How difficult is the handling of a trike in general? I imagine that being relatively light weight the rear will be somewhat skittish.
Forget everything you know about riding a bike, you just steer them. The other trick is don't fight em, you need to let them move around under you especially on sloping ground when you need to keep yourself vertical and not the trike.
I wouldn't say the back end is skittish although it's easy to lift a wheel and on most* only one rear wheel drives/brakes so they can pull to one side a bit and the back wheel can 'lock' under braking pretty easy.

C R

Guru
Forget everything you know about riding a bike, you just steer them. The other trick is don't fight em, you need to let them move around under you especially on sloping ground when you need to keep yourself vertical and not the trike.
I wouldn't say the back end is skittish although it's easy to lift a wheel and on most* only one rear wheel drives/brakes so they can pull to one side a bit and the back wheel can 'lock' under braking pretty easy.
You don't make it sound very attractive to a nervous rider. I imagine if the two wheels were in front it might handle a bit more like a bike.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You don't make it sound very attractive to a nervous rider. I imagine if the two wheels were in front it might handle a bit more like a bike.
Things only get 'hairy' at speed, if you take your time they're easy to ride. i know someone who has a reverse cargo trike (2 front wheels) and that is lethal at over 10 miles an hour as it shimmies like it has a hinge in the middle which it does in fact have cos the whole front end turns, very disconcerting when I had a go at the 'Ride Leicester' event but it will carry over 100kg in the box (the guy works for Spokes and had half a dozen or so Gazebos that he put up at various locations around the route all of which fitted in the box at the front)

classic33

Leg End Member
Things only get 'hairy' at speed, if you take your time they're easy to ride. i know someone who has a reverse cargo trike (2 front wheels) and that is lethal at over 10 miles an hour as it shimmies like it has a hinge in the middle which it does in fact have cos the whole front end turns, very disconcerting when I had a go at the 'Ride Leicester' event but it will carry over 100kg in the box (the guy works for Spokes and had half a dozen or so Gazebos that he put up at various locations around the route all of which fitted in the box at the front)
Turned one of those turtle at a little over 12mph.

C R

Guru
I can see how those would also be problematic, but I was thinking more of something with a rigid body, steered by the back wheel.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I can see how those would also be problematic, but I was thinking more of something with a rigid body, steered by the back wheel.
One with 'Ackerman' steering like a Tadpole would be better but then the box on the front would need to be smaller to allow the wheels to turn.

Turned one of those turtle at a little over 12mph.

The one I had a go on had a 500w rear hub motor :eek: luckily he hadn't disconnected the speed limiter sensor. Spokes used it instead of a van when they did events in the city and the box was quite big, 4 foot long and about 3 foot across by 3 foot deep, even had a tonneau with little hooks on the box that it attached to

classic33

Leg End Member
On second thoughts, if it is a coaster brake it would have to be a combined 3 speed and coaster because the OP says "cylindrical gear box with a short chain and a threaded piece coming out of it that you can pull on " which pretty exactly describes a hub gear. So I guess the question is - does it also have an arm sticking out of the other side of the hub.
Your guess was correct, it's a three speed hub withe coaster brake.

OP
OP
J

jdavis1784

Regular
Update!
I have replaced all the tires and tubes. The front tire arrived and to. Y surprise it's grey. Apparently the same size is used on wheel chairs who would have thought? It is real a whole new experience to riding. You feel yourself leaning to turn but not with 3 wheels! You real have to go slow to turn that bike goes up on 2 wheels very easily. I have also been working on the shifter and cable for the 3 speed. Its a simple design but takes time to get adjusted. Thankfully there are many YouTube videos to reference. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom