Advice for being able to see in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

Today was probably the first time I have cycled in persistent rain and my glasses not only got covered in water they fogged up too. What do people do in the rain to see properly? I can't really stretch to expensive cycling glasses at the moment.

Sharky

Guru
I'm short sighted and need glasses for driving and watching TV etc, but with the problems you mention above, I find it better to ride without glasses, especially when I was riding at night with all the dazzle around.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

I'm short sighted and need glasses for driving and watching TV etc, but with the problems you mention above, I find it better to ride without glasses, especially when I was riding at night with all the dazzle around.

I don't need glasses but I have some cheap cycling glasses with interchangeable lenses as I don't like the spray etc in my eyes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I'd be in the nearest ditch without glasses, well I wouldn't, as I'd have not found my cycling kit. Blind as a bat.

As for steaming up - occasionally wash your glasses with washing up liquid, and just rinse them off under the tap - works for my cycling glasses. - My normal glasses aren't suitable for cycling - too small !

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Today was probably the first time I have cycled in persistent rain and my glasses not only got covered in water they fogged up too. What do people do in the rain to see properly? I can't really stretch to expensive cycling glasses at the moment.
A baseball cap works for me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As above: long peaks on hoods or hats, bigger glasses (aviator or cowboy styles). Vented builders' safety goggles (about £2 at merchants) sometimes help.

Keep glasses cleaned regularly with a good slippy cleaner. Most opticians' cleaners are good - washing up liquid seems hit and miss and the saving's not worth the misses IMO. And try not to breathe out on them, either directly (puffing clouds forwards then riding into it) or redirected by a buff or scarf.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Contacts, cap and Oakley (I forget the model) which has vents in the lenses (clear) so no fogging. Fine at night too.

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Ta all. I'll try a cap and see if that help. Also try the washing up liquid trick or getting some kind of cleaner. You can get really good anti fog insersts for motorcycle helmets but it's easier to work with a bigger space

And try not to breathe out on them, either directly (puffing clouds forwards then riding into it) or redirected by a buff or scarf.

Unfortunately I think they are fogging due to me being really unfit and heating up really easily rather than my breath.

Contacts, cap and Oakley (I forget the model) which has vents in the lenses (clear) so no fogging. Fine at night too.
Thats what I do for leisure rides, worst comes to the worst the glasses can be removed but that doesn't seem to happen with Oakleys :okay:

For the commute as I prefer glasses to read a VDU etc I choose glasses that whilst giving me good eye protection sit so there's plenty of venting and wear a cycling cap. Most of my glasses have been the same shape as my current ones.

At a trade show today some nice lady cleaned my glasses with a German uber cleaner (Oculan) She advised against washing up liquid and alcohol based cleaners.
Camera lenses now feature a water beading surface treatment. It is probably available for specs.
Clean microfiber cloth on a rinsed lens is probably the best thing.
You need clean glasses in the rain. A low peaked hat also helps.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Have not tried it on my glasses, but, to prevent misting with my motorcycle helmet visor, I use a de-misting spray.

Doesn't solve the problem of rain on the "glass" of course.

With motorcycle, the forward speed tends to "wipe" the drops off, I am not fit or young enough to cycle that fast! ;)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Another vote for the hat with a peak and Rain X. Use the rain X on both sides of the lense. On the outside it helps water to bead and fall off more quickly (so they say but I wouldn't stake my life on it) and on the inside of the lense it leaves a thin film which helps avoid condensation sticking to the lense. Not 100%, but close enough. It may sting your eyes a bit though.

Top Bottom