Advice for being able to see in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'd be in the nearest ditch without glasses, well I wouldn't, as I'd have not found my cycling kit. Blind as a bat.

As for steaming up - occasionally wash your glasses with washing up liquid, and just rinse them off under the tap - works for my cycling glasses. - My normal glasses aren't suitable for cycling - too small !
I have serious rain/night time issues with sight, and the two combined are scary. In monsoons no glasses are better than drenched/foggy glasses. I literally inch along when I am caught out. I can't tolerate lenses either.

Even with good sight riding along dark unlit lanes at night can be a nightmare, especially if a car comes towards you with it's headlights on .
It is fine when the car lights up your pathway but then you are plunged into darkness as it passes you by .
A good memory of where the road was is essential .

wajc

Veteran
I'm pretty sure no-one in this thread said to wear it under a helmet. Doing so is a bad idea and against several helmet makers' warnings because it would enable the helmet to slide around, fail to protect the top of the head and dig into the side of the head or possibly the neck. I wear a cap or peaked hood but no helmet. Wear a helmet with a peak or visor if you use a helmet but please don't wear one dangerously with a cap underneath. I'd hate to hear you've been injured by it.

I don't believe that there is any issue with wearing a cycling specific cap underneath a helmet. Most helmets have enough adjustment to allow for a proper fit with a thin cap or buff underneath.

From a different thread but makes a good point about the difference between a baseball cap and a cycling cap though, so I'd never advocate wearing a baseball cap under a helmet

Cycling helmets are different from baseball caps in that they are shaped to grip your head and the peak is much smaller. Oh and they don't have a button on top.

Plenty to choose from here and all described as under helmet caps - if there was a real danger then I'm pretty sure they would not be using that as a description

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/clothing/cycling-clothing/headwear/underhelmet-caps

They can help to keep you cool, warm, prevent sunburn, prevent insect stings if caught in helmet, keep rain out of eyes, keep sweat out of eyes.

Seems OK for this cyclist as well !

Chris Froome wearing cap under helmet

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't believe that there is any issue with wearing a cycling specific cap underneath a helmet.
Believe what you like but I'd check your helmet manual before wearing one!

Seems OK for this cyclist as well !

Chris Froome wearing cap under helmet
Is that because you also believe "Crash" Froome is famous for never doing anything reckless like taking a hand off the steering at speed downhill?

wajc

Veteran
I have a Giro helmet

Here is a link to a Giro cap on their website

Giro SPF30 Ultralight Cap

and in the description

ENJOY WARM SUNNY RIDES WITH THE SPF ULTRALIGHT CAP. IT HELPS TO WICK MOISTURE, PROVIDES UPF30+ RATING WITH EXCELLENT BREATHABILITY, AND THE SMART SEAM HELPS ALLEVIATE PRESSURE POINTS FROM YOUR HELMET.

Apologies for the capitals - it's a cut and paste job. My bold as well, I'd missed this benefit from my earlier list.

Giro helmet fitting instructions

I've had a look through the fitting instructions. I can see no statement regarding the wearing of a cap under a helmet being advised against, and as they sell their own under helmet caps then I'll make my decision based on that.

I'll accept that other manufacturers may differ in their advice but until I've seen some scientific evidence to the contrary I'll continue to wear caps under my helmet in the winter for warmth and in the summer to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Giro helmet fitting instructions

I've had a look through the fitting instructions. I can see no statement regarding the wearing of a cap under a helmet being advised against,
Nor can I, because it's a broken link(!)

I'll accept that other manufacturers may differ in their advice but until I've seen some scientific evidence to the contrary I'll continue to wear caps under my helmet in the winter for warmth and in the summer to keep the sweat out of my eyes.
Whereas I'd rather see them testing it and showing that a cap doesn't render the retention system. I bet no-one's tested hammering nails into the helmet at intervals but that doesn't mean it's safe!

Last edited:

wajc

Veteran

LOL

Try this
https://www.rei.com/media/72d7fa17-6462-4d59-bc1c-f06b77515fac

Whereas I'd rather see them testing it and showing that a cap doesn't render the retention system. I bet no-one's tested hammering nails into the helmet at intervals but that doesn't mean it's safe!

I think you're seeing danger where it doesn't exist - if you're that worried about things I'd advise not getting on the bike in the first place :-)

GetFatty

Über Member
I treated myself to some vented Oakleys this year as I've spent a fortune looking for the right cycling shields over the year. My main issue has been fogging up and the Oakleys have sorted that. The hydrophonic (?) capability that was advertised also seems to work as I've worn them in the rain with no issues either.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Helmet thread is over that way < - give it a rest.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
FWIW the Specialized helmet manual says "WARNING: Do not wear anything underneath your helmet such as a cap, hood, bundled hair, headphones, barrettes* as the helmet may loosen or come off."

Whether this is sound practical advice or just legal arse-covering I don't know. Other comments on this are indeed off topic for this thread and should indeed be addressed to the Helmet Dungeon.

* I had to look this up. It's American for hair clip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrette

Last edited:

fossyant

Please direct that to the post introducing helmets here and contradicting the likes of Trek's helmet manual but I'll end here for now.

Oh FFS - this thread is about how to help in rain with a glasses wearer, not weather (deliberate spelling mistake ^_^) a cap will void the protection/warranty blah blah - please go and rant somewhere else about helmets, this is about seeing in the rain.

RegG

Über Member
1575291071091.png

fossyant

I find cold rain whilst MTB'ing, especially just after a climb, quite hard to see as my glasses will also steam up from heat, but there isn't enough 'speed' to keep them clear. Not so clever when you start a technical downhill right after the climb.

Top Bottom