Advice for being able to see in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Worst day I ever had for this was out in my self-darkening cycling glasses on a cold foggy winters day. It was quite bright, despite the fog/cloud so not only did they steam up but they also thought "ah ha, it's a sunny day" so they went dark as well. That was possibly my last non-summer ride in them.

Last edited:

wajc

Veteran
I'm going to get a cap, hopefully I can find one for my massive head, sure I can.

Trek have a cap that is made from thermal fabric that covers your ears as well as a peak - good for the cold weather at this time of year so dual purpose.

Trek Cap

According to the review on the site it's possible to ride with the visor (peak) up or down. This is worth considering as speaking from experience having the peak down can cause you to have to lift your head up slightly more than you would do normally. This is more apparent if you ride in a more bent over position as the peak can be in your field of view, which in turn can lead to a bit of neck ache after a while. The ability to tilt the peak back up when not needed to combat the rain is helpful.

I'm a glasses wearer as well through necessity unfortunately - wearing a peaked cap certainly helps to keep most of the rain off but it's not the complete answer.

anonymous

Regular
As above: long peaks on hoods or hats, bigger glasses (aviator or cowboy styles). Vented builders' safety goggles (about £2 at merchants) sometimes help.

Keep glasses cleaned regularly with a good slippy cleaner. Most opticians' cleaners are good - washing up liquid seems hit and miss and the saving's not worth the misses IMO. And try not to breathe out on them, either directly (puffing clouds forwards then riding into it) or redirected by a buff or scarf.
I used to make my own using isopropyl alcohol, and water (50% of each)

Now I've noticed that screenwash is even cheaper than that, and I could mix it as 25% screenwash, 75% water. That seems to work quite fine too

carpenter

Über Member
I was told off by my optician when I mentioned that I used dilute Fairy liquid to clean my glasses - apparently it can take the antiglare coatings off the lens.
I have very poor eyesight, but luckily I can manage without glasses on my bike (although I would be in big trouble in my car!).

I was told off by my optician when I mentioned that I used dilute Fairy liquid to clean my glasses - apparently it can take the antiglare coatings off the lens.
I have very poor eyesight, but luckily I can manage without glasses on my bike (although I would be in big trouble in my car!).
I'd always wear glasses on the bike carpenter for reasons of basic safety - they don't have to be prescription lenses.

roley poley

Über Member
Been watching winter sports on telly and the skeleton bob riders put a clear full face visor on, in sub zero conditions and when they get off at the end to wave at the camera there is no condensation in or on the visor that i can see.!! What do they use cos we want some please

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Been watching winter sports on telly and the skeleton bob riders put a clear full face visor on, in sub zero conditions and when they get off at the end to wave at the camera there is no condensation in or on the visor that i can see.!! What do they use cos we want some please
Airflow at 70mph with minimal effort. Can't you do that on a bike? Move to a bigger mountain!

roley poley

Über Member
no... thank you for your humour but i seek a practical solution for many riders in winter who are spex wearers with a buff over their nose breathing warm air . I cant find one ,have tried many "solutions " but found none x x

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
no... thank you for your humour but i seek a practical solution for many riders in winter who are spex wearers with a buff over their nose breathing warm air . I cant find one ,have tried many "solutions " but found none x x
I leave my nose sticking out of a buff. If it's too cold for that, a woolly scarf does not fog glasses as much, probably because it's looser and there's more space for breath in it.

roley poley

Über Member
yeah your right leave my big hooter out the buff and it does help or in through the nose and out through the mouth

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Been doing it for years. When I get a new prescription, there is no visible deterioration in the old glasses compared to the sparkly new ones.

We had a pot of some sort of grease/cream that we bought when back in the UK, it was exactly for this purpose ie to stop the water in air condensing on the warmer inside of your glasses, it worked but i can't find just now (will look later). We used it on glasses that were worn inside ski goggles, this year the children have an incorporated visor on the helmets (time trial style) so the glasses fit inside more comfortably but i'm sure the condensation may be worse.

RainX works well on the outside of your glasses in rain, but my solution to that these days is to avoid rain..... wonder if it would help re the condensation ?

Top Bottom