Advice for dog walkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Advice for dog walkers when using a shared use path:

[1] before venturing out, unravel from your vest a length of string which is just long enough to reach from you to the dog. Tie it around the bit of the dog which connects the head to the body and tie the other end to yourself.

[2] Pick up anything which falls out of your dog and put it safely in your pocket.

[3] When a cyclist is forced to stop because your mutt is outwith the sphere of your influence do not merely smile inanely as if to imply that it is as adorable to everyone else as it is to you.

[4]....

Ahh, shared use paths, a boon and a bain. It depends whether I'm on my bike, walking or walking with dog as to which view I take on them. Still unlike the woman who told me I shouldn't be riding on the bridleway, at least I know the rules ;)

<RANT>When your dog has done the business, pick it up with your little green bag and TAKE THE RUDDY THING HOME....don't leave tied to a strand of barbed wire fence or decorating a bush or looped over railings or nestling beside a lampost....muppets!</RANT>.

Debian

Crackle said:
Ahh, shared use paths, a boon and a bain. It depends whether I'm on my bike, walking or walking with dog as to which view I take on them. Still unlike the woman who told me I shouldn't be riding on the bridleway, at least I know the rules :biggrin:

Ha! I've had that comment aimed at me a few times - usually by a green-wellied and Barbour attired matriarch. I think they just don't like "us" on "their" bridleways.

Debian

mickle said:
Advice for dog walkers when using a shared use path:

[1] before venturing out, unravel from your vest a length of string which is just long enough to reach from you to the dog. Tie it around the bit of the dog which connects the head to the body and tie the other end to yourself.

[2] Pick up anything which falls out of your dog and put it safely in your pocket.

[3] When a cyclist is forced to stop because your mutt is outwith the sphere of your influence do not merely smile inanely as if to imply that it is as adorable to everyone else as it is to you.

[4]....

[4].... "it's OK, he won't hurt you..." :biggrin:

Norm

[5] Smile and say sorry when you or your dog have messed with someone else's day. It works better than blaming everyone else for all the ills in the world.

darkstar

The other day i was walking along Smithdown Road, Liverpool. This woman in ridiculous high heals was walking along with her tiny dog. I made a wide berth to avoid the thing, the lead was so long however that it scampered right up to me and licked my leg (i was wearing shorts) I felt like kicking the damn thing, horrible.

on the road

Über Member
Advice for cyclists cycling through parks:

1. It's not a race track.

2. When you see people walking whether with their dogs or children or both, SLOW DOWN.

3. You DON'T have right of way.

4. Don't shout "get that f*cking dog out of the f*cking way" as you are hurtling down the footpath at breakneck speed, if you don't like riding past dogs then don't cycle through the park.

5. Remember, dogs and todlers are unpredictable, don't be p*ssed off because they are stopping you from speeding along the footpath and don't expect them to get out of the way for YOU.

6. You ARE NOT the center of the world.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
on the road said:
Advice for cyclists cycling through parks:

1. It's not a race track.

2. When you see people walking whether with their dogs or children or both, SLOW DOWN.

3. You DON'T have right of way.

4. Don't shout "get that f*cking dog out of the f*cking way" as you are hurtling down the footpath at breakneck speed, if you don't like riding past dogs then don't cycle through the park.

5. Remember, dogs and todlers are unpredictable, don't be p*ssed off because they are stopping you from speeding along the footpath and don't expect them to get out of the way for YOU.

6. You ARE NOT the center of the world.

I'm sure we all share these sentiments, but clearly this is a discussion about the antisocial of dog owners on shared use paths. This post would be better placed on a dog owners forum if such a thing exists.

ward-c

point is, its a SHARED path!! im a dog owner and a cyclist, if im walking my dog i dont expect it to knocked down by a selfish cyclist who thinks he has right of way. if im cycling on one i slow down if i see a child or a dog.

MichaelM

Guru
reiver said:
A local numpty (ned (chav) in english?) has recently got himself one of these pit bull things, scary looking beast. It arrived in the middle of my dog walk tonight, several hundred yards away from its brainless owner, I thought my Black Lab was in big big trouble, but no, the two dogs seemed to get on OK, in fact a little too ok, my Black Lab mounted it and give it one. When the numpty finally arrived he wasn't too happy.
I know there is the unwanted puppy angle but i wasn't gettin in the way, seen the size of the teeth on these things, frightening.

1) I doubt it was a pit bull.

2) If your lab mounted it, then it doesn't sound as though you had your dog under control either.

mickle said:
I'm sure we all share these sentiments, but clearly this is a discussion about the antisocial of dog owners on shared use paths. This post would be better placed on a dog owners forum if such a thing exists.

The trouble is, I tend to find it's cyclists who are the problem, not the dog walkers. They don't have right of way, they often don't slow down and God forbid that they should actually stop and give you a fighting chance to bring your dog to heel. One woman actually ran into my dog as I was putting his lead on so she could get past and he'd stopped as soon as I told him and sat down, obviously not where she wanted him to sit: In her defence she did look a bit thick.

Norm

mickle said:
Disagreement here too. I think that OTR's comments are perfectly valid and well placed.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
ward-c said:
point is, its a SHARED path!! im a dog owner and a cyclist, if im walking my dog i dont expect it to knocked down by a selfish cyclist who thinks he has right of way. if im cycling on one i slow down if i see a child or a dog.

Of course you slow down, we all do unless we are complete idiots with no disregard for our own safety let alone the safety of others or even their pets.

My objection, which I'm sure no-one in their right mind could possibly disagree with is that dog owners using a path to which cyclists have legal access should keep their pets under control. To me that means on a lead or, at the very least, away from my front wheel. Words like heel and sit often do the trick.

Around here there don't appear to be any signs but in Bristol at the main access points to the Bristol to Bath shared use path dog walkers are strongly advised to keep their mutts on a lead. Most of them don't and many of them appear to have no control whatsoever.

I wonder if these people have any idea of the damage the front wheel of a bicycle could do to their animals.
Why should I tolerate being forced to slow to a crawl or a stop when going about my business simply because these ignorant people cannot control their dumb animals? If they apologised I wouldn't mind half as much. No, what you get is that half smile and slight head tilt which says 'Isn't it adorable. Aw. Bless'.

It's a shared amenity and I have absolutely no objection to them being there but I was slowed to a halt four times this morning. It's a cycle track. The clue is in the name.

on the road

Über Member
mickle said:
you are obviously not a dog owner and don't want to hear the other side of the story.

The point I'm trying to make is, it's a shared path and I don't expect to be mown down by a cyclist who thinks it's OK to ride along the path at great speed when there are pedestrains there with children and dogs.

If a cyclist has to stop then that implies he's was going too fast along the footpath. Remember, dogs are allowed to be off the lead in parks and open spaces.

And why should it be on a dog owners forum when the message is aimed at cyclists?

If anything, your original post should have been on a dog owners forum because that was targeted at dog owners, not cyclists.

Top Bottom