Advice on a charity ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Hello,

I am looking for some advice on a ride I am planning on completing for a chairity. The charity is called "Grace's Goal" so therefore I came up with the idea of riding a route from home to London, via towns that spell the name of the charity out. So I've come up with,
Gosport > Rowlands Castle > Arundel > Crawley > East Grinstead > Sevonoaks > Gravesend > Over the Thames (on ferry) > Aveley > London Bridge.

The total miles are 139.2. As a regular commuter who can cycle an average of 15mph over a few hours, have done my biggest ride of 70 miles round IOW, would it be possible to cycle the full 139 miles in one go, say over 14hours? That'll require an average speed of just under 10mph.

It's either that or I split it and stop overnight halfway, however i'm up for a challenge as long as it won't kill me :P The other bonus of non-stop is not needed to worry about carrying much kit and paying for a hotel room, keeping the costs to a minimum to allow for maximum money raised going to the charity.

All ideas/opinions welcome,

Many Thanks,

Sharky

Guru
Like the route you have chosen.

140 miles is a mega distance, but achievable. If you can do a few repeats of your 70 mile rides, you will have the confidence to get past the half way point and then it's just will power. Double check the times of the ferry, not sure how late they run.

You could finish Gravesend- Orpington - A2 (can't think of a place beginning with A) and London Bridge

Good luck and keep us posted on the date - You'll be riding through Gravesend CC territory!

Cheers Keith

toekneep

Yes I think you could do it but it will be tough. I think my wife and I had only done one ride of 100 miles berfore we tackled our first (and last) 200k. We actually did 130 miles and it was fine. 12 hours.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Your average riding speed will need to be quite a bit more than 10mph ... assuming you are going to stop for :hungry: and :cuppa: !

You'll need to do your sums on how long you might need to stop, then add an hour or two for 'mechanicals' - that should give you a much better idea of your average riding speed required.

It's very do-able, though ! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom