Advice on buying a decent road bike (£4000+)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

nhedden

saving for what? new toaster?

ASC1951

Guru
dodgy said:
The point is that owing top end machinery is really nice :blush:
My philosophy too. £4000 buys you only a quarter of a normal family car, which will lose that amount in the first year. I would rather drive my six year old diesel Astra and ride good quality bikes.

My limit is about £2500 of God's Own Metal. Above that, as L'oreal point out, I know I'm not worth it.

amrushton

For that money you should be looking at Custom bikes. Cyclefit are agents for Colnago and can get them custom made for you or you could go for one of their sale bikes that are down from eg £5k to £2/2.5k. A lot of choice at that price and I wouldn't want an 'ordinary' bike. You could see how much eg a Pinarello or Colnago is in Italy and go over to get it or see what Maestro can offer you a Colnago at. Don't think I'd be getting a Wilier or DeRosa for that money

Trek Madone are indeed a lovely bike.....The Scott addict is very light and a superb frame, to my liking, its too light for my needs on UK roads.

De Rosa Idol is also very light, But I think a little nervous for UK roads.

I think oversized carbon is the way to go.....for £4000 in this present day...you should get a great deal.......Have a look at Pinarello Paris or Prince, lovey frames and built for purpose!

gavintc

Guru
My latest bike; a Cervelo RS was an indulgence. But as someone else has already stated, I don't smoke and have no other expensive hobbies, so I justify the enjoyment as a worthwhile use of my hard earned cash. But, I do note a puritanical streak in some cyclists.

OP
OP
N

nhedden

Thanks Gavintc.
Having unexpectedly come into some (legal) gains, I'm thinking 'why not?'
Just want to make an informed decision. :angry:

asterix

Comrade Member
nhedden said:
Having unexpectedly come into some (legal) gains..

Yes, me too, but in Britain I am a <£1k cyclist. Then I can leave it in town, anxiety-free..

.. and I'd feel I was a fraud on the expensive stuff;)

yello

asterix said:
.. and I'd feel I was a fraud on the expensive stuff;)

I'd feel exactly the same! I'd love a go on a £5k race bike, and I think some of them are works of real beauty, but as for actually buying one... I'd feel I'd be viewed as 'all the gear, no idea'. It'd be wasted on me.

Top Bottom