Advice on buying a decent road bike (£4000+)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Hedgehog

HeartAttack said:
I have no problem at all with someone spending 4k on a bike, I've done that many a time though not on a bike, however the difference is I didn't go on forums trying to look impressive by asking what to buy, I did my research and read reports etc then went and tried things myself, now especially with a bike its what fits and feels right for you not what someone else thinks unless you are looking to buy to impress.

Also if you post a question you will also get different options, nothing wrong with that at all, in fact its helpful as someone could offer something that was not considered, if however others don't like different points of views then maybe they need to put the head back up their own butt

trying to look impressive?...you're so intuitive. Well done.

OP
OP
N

nhedden

Heart attack - I'm so glad I kept you impressed. Really I have nothing else to fill my very empty life. Mission achieved. Thanks for the feedback.

Pearson72

I brought a Bianchi Via Nirone. But have added a new set of wheels bottom bracket and crank! If you trash it you just go out and get another!

LeeW

I know of a bike which is extremely fast (18:59 '10'), has full suspension, very comfortable (almost like sitting in an armchair), you stay dry in the wet, stay warm with minimal clothing even below freezing and it is almost zero maintenance although sadly it aint light (weighs 74lbs). www.velomobiel.nl

carrock

best road bike

Most people would consider the wording of the title to be ridiculous.

Perhaps the title should be " Advice on buying a bike far better than anyone would ever need "

A decent road bike can be bought for £1500. An exceptionally good bike suitable for a world class racer can be bought for £4000

Armstrong and Contador ride stock Trek Madones ( 6.9 I think ) albeit with custom paint, which can be bought for about £5000-£6000

carrock

nhedden said:
I currently have a specialized roubaix comp 2008, but looking for something a bit lighter & faster. It also has to be comfortable over a good distance too.
So far I've considered the roubaix SL2, the trek madone 6.5, the wilier centro 1 & a few others.
Anybody got any views on a fast, light & comfortable bikes between the £4000- £5000 price tag?

I've just read this again. Bikes aren't fast. Bikes go at zero mph. Riders are fast or slow. Bikes are neither. And all Roubaixs are comfortable over long distances- I know, I've got one.

A Roubaix S-Works might be a fraction easier to pedal up hills than a Roubaix comp- a couple of seconds over a mile, possibly. But it won't be any more comfortable nor would the rider notice any real difference on the flat

I'm beginning to think the original post is a wind-up,to be honest

dodgy

carrock said:
I've just read this again. Bikes aren't fast. Bikes go at zero mph. Riders are fast or slow. Bikes are neither. And all Roubaixs are comfortable over long distances- I know, I've got one.

A Roubaix S-Works might be a fraction easier to pedal up hills than a Roubaix comp- a couple of seconds over a mile, possibly. But it won't be any more comfortable nor would the rider notice any real difference on the flat

I'm beginning to think the original post is a wind-up,to be honest

You could have saved a few quid by buying a cheaper bike than the Roubaix...

carrock

I bought a 2009 roubaix in august for £1300, and was quite pleased when the 2010 models came out for £1700-identical apart from colours

YES I could have bought a Ribble sportive and saved £300, but I like the style and comfort of the Roubaix

The point I was making is that spending £4000 on an S-Works is just money wasted unless you're a Cat 1 racer IMHO

gavintc

Guru
carrock said:
I bought a 2009 roubaix in august for £1300, and was quite pleased when the 2010 models came out for £1700-identical apart from colours

YES I could have bought a Ribble sportive and saved £300, but I like the style and comfort of the Roubaix

The point I was making is that spending £4000 on an S-Works is just money wasted unless you're a Cat 1 racer IMHO

And the money spent on your Roubaix in comparison to a Ribble unless you race is also wasted? ;)

carrock

gavintc said:
And the money spent on your Roubaix in comparison to a Ribble unless you race is also wasted? ;)

Errrrm- no!!- because I like the styling, it will have a better resale value due to the specialized brand, and I think it's probably more comfortable....also wasn't keen on waiting ages for a ribble, and I got the bike for £400 less than the identical 2010 version......

gavintc

Guru
For most £1000 represents serious money. A £4000 bike is not necessarily a waste when you can afford it. Marginal benefits, but each £ buys slightly more.

Top Bottom