Advice on buying a decent road bike (£4000+)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I could spend it on a bike, and have intent in that direction, but ones mans poison. I want a titanium Amazon Rohloff, with Shmidt dyno hub and top end dyno lights. That certainly gets you well over the £3k mark and is bling only in the sense of reliability and resistance to corrosion. Maybe a bit of weight saving thrown in there as well:biggrin: My argument would be that it still costs a heck of a lot less than a car to buy and run for a commute.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
MacB said:
I could spend it on a bike, and have intent in that direction, but ones mans poison. I want a titanium Amazon Rohloff, with Shmidt dyno hub and top end dyno lights.

+1 to that. I already run SONs and can't fault the Cyo 60s, but I must confess to hankering after a Rohloff. I'd put mine on a 'bent, of course. Titanium optional. Can't say I've ever discarded a bike because the frame corroded.

I did a google for a titanium amazon, but the results suggest its a Kenwood mixer? I'd have thought a Rohloff was overkill, but guess soufflés and fruit cakes require different speeds. Horses for courses. Yours is dessert.

MacB

arallsopp said:
+1 to that. I already run SONs and can't fault the Cyo 60s, but I must confess to hankering after a Rohloff. I'd put mine on a 'bent, of course. Titanium optional. Can't say I've ever discarded a bike because the frame corroded.

I did a google for a titanium amazon, but the results suggest its a Kenwood mixer? I'd have thought a Rohloff was overkill, but guess soufflés and fruit cakes require different speeds. Horses for courses. Yours is dessert.

well, with the I-9 I've theoretically got the next step down from the Rohloff when it comes to hub gears, but it is a big step! The Amazon is a Van Nicholas frame, in case you weren't joking:biggrin: I keep telling myself I could put it all on the Surly and save myself the £1200 on the Amazon frame. Then I think, well in for a penny in for a pound, you'll only regret it, you'll always be wondering, etc, etc:smile:

I'm also a lazy slob and would view a titanium frame as a way of not feeling guilty about my lack of bike cleaning.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This thread is what makes CC what it is!

A load of people discussing something when the OP hasn't been back since Dec31st 2008 and tghen drifting off into another direction altogether.

Carry on!!

MacB

rich p said:
This thread is what makes CC what it is!

A load of people discussing something when the OP hasn't been back since Dec31st 2008 and tghen drifting off into another direction altogether.

Carry on!!

I don't ever always know what the OP is

Top Bottom